It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Releasing after retrieve 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Releasing after retrieve
My lab is 3months. He goes and retrieves balls and throw bumpers just fine. He comes back right to me or whoever throws the bumper. But when he gets back within arms reach, he holds the bumper, sometimes grabs the rope, and wants to play tug-of-war. I don't want him getting in the habit of doing this. Especially "IF" he hunts and retrieves birds. :roll:

If I don't reach out, sometimes he'll just drop it on the ground at my feet or just to the side.

Anyone got tips/tricks about how to get him to drop the bumper? Most time I just hold tight and pry his mouth open and tell him release or drop it.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:22 am
Profile WWW
MMT Moderator

Post Re: Releasing after retrieve
I use the command "Give" and I force fetched Sadie. "Fetch it up" she picks it up... "Hold" she holds it I can slap hit the bumper and her grip never changes on it. "Give" and she releases and drops it in my hand but not until I'm ready.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:50 am
Profile WWW
MMT Elite Member

If he does not want to give it to you try shovin it down his throat. He'll spit it out and will get da right idea bout how it's suppose to be done pretty quick.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:57 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Also stick with one command...dont switch up between release or drop it. If your going to use drop it just say drop, it is easier for them to understand one word commands.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:44 am
MMT Sponsor

He's 3 months old, so he's still gonna want to play. If he's havin fun, that's a good thing, just don't let it get outta hand. Like Keestan said, whichever command ya choose, stick with it and don't change. Be patient, and enjoy the bonding yall are doin. ;)

Killer Kallz & ANGLE PORT dealer
(409) 720-8949

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

Remember he's only 3 months old. Above all keep it fun. Don't lunge after him or chase him to get it. If he comes to you and doesn't want to release you can shove it down his throat or what I do: hook your finger under that flap of skin right in front of their rear leg and pull up. It's a sensitive spot and they will open their mouth. Always command give or drop or whatever you say at the same exact time.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:33 pm
MMT Elite Member

You need some good videos on training and Force Fetch. And at 3 months old you may be expecting way to much at this point. There are firmly established timelines that can be followed depending on the dogs age for training. Its not exact science but close enough to have worked for 1000s of others before you. The cost of these training aids is nothing compaired to life long expenses. Do yourself and your dog a favor and do it right. You will find that what your wanting your dog to do "force fetch" is usually not taught until a minimum age of 7 mo or more. After they get their permanent teeth. At 3 months its basic obedience and fun to keep them interested in the retrieve itself. Not perfect delivery to hand. Get yourself some of these cheap videos to at least give yourself an idea of what YOU are trying to do. If you dont know, how you expect the dog to know.

"I do think there is a Squatch in these woods"!!!!!

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:34 pm
MMT Sponsor

Shoot It !!!

Or, you can sell it to the local Chinese Buffet

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:00 am
MMT Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:45 am
MMT 1000 Club

I'm sure I'm expecting too much. Well I was. Now it's more of a game of catch. He is really enjoying retrieving. Especially in the pool. I know it's not good, but with gators in the pond/lake across the street, I don't want him to become a meal. Also the bank is not sloped gradual so it would be tough for him to get out. And then there are the stumps.
But he seems to like the water alot. So much so that when the kids are in the pool, he'll just get in with them and swim in circles.

Recently I bought a Dokken dead foul mallard from academy(them things aren't cheap). He really likes retrieving it out the pool. I've also gotten a Petstep with pool legs so he doesn't use the ladder. He seems to like the ramp more than the ladder.

Good thing I have found out recently, is that no matter who throws the dummy, he'll go back to them and attemp to drop it. More of inticing a tug of war. I told everyone to just let him pass by and then ask him to drop it. It works better if we don't grab at the dummy.

A few more months and then we'll get a bit busier. Till then I'll be find a few books and videos.

Sit and stay commands are working great. Even when my 6 y/o tells him.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:52 am
Profile WWW
MMT Member

you gotta force fetch it!

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:34 pm
MMT Addict

I think you are expecting a lot. but...

a trick I use to get a dog to give me something they want to hold is to wrap my fingers from under the mouth behind the bumper (shoe, sock, whatever) Push the lips over the lower back teeth and sqeeze. A little pressure there usually opens up the mouth and I still have hold of the dog when it is done.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:26 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Mine throws them at me.

What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:13 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Use a bristle brush to retreive with. He'll release much easier plus it'll train him to have a "soft" mouth.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:38 am
MMT Pro Member

"Especially in the pool. I know it's not good, but with gators in the pond/lake across the street, I don't want him to become a meal. "

not to jack your thread but...
how do you guys work your dogs in the warm months with most of the ponds and back water full of gators?

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:56 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:11 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Hey miller, give it some time bud, stick with heel and stay for now, releasing the dummy will come later, all in do time brotha. keep him interested in fetching as much as you can, make it real fun, remember he's just a puppy. Have fun with him then later on you can teach him the difference in training and playing. Give me a call i'll give you some pointers! but remember this a good dog don't come over night unless you spend 5000 on a finished dog and have one fed-exed to ya, Spend lots of time with him and let him know who you are and bond with him, he'll only be as good as the amount of time you spend with him, throw the dummy everyday! (409)719-3632

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:16 am
MMT 1000 Club

I've been slacking (working on the boat) on the fetching but my son throws for him when I don't. About 15-20mins just about everyday. He's been coming around pretty good. He's getting to the point now where he'll drop the dummy on the ground pretty close.
gator, you mention bonding. Dude my wife makes fun cause we both sit on the sofa watching tv. On the weekends, he's on the ottoman and I'm on the sofa watching NASCAR or taking a nap. :lol:

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:31 am
Profile WWW
MMT Super Elite Member

Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:41 am
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]