It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Force Fetch 
MMT Member

Post Force Fetch
My last dog was not force fetched and didi just find . I have been reading training books for my new pup and it appears it is the thing to do. I just wanted to get everyones opinion on it .

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:12 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Force Fetch
I have been told it's better to have it done and not need it than to need it and not have had it done.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:39 pm
MMT Pro Member

Definately force fetch it is worth it. but during it do not do any retrieving with your dog at all. because you do not want them to associate the pressure with the fun of retrieving. get a professional to do it or one that is willing to help you every day during the process. my program takes about six weeks. let me know if you have any questions.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:41 pm
MMT Member

Force Fetch is the foundation for all basic and advanced training. Do not see why you would skip this important step!

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:39 pm
MMT Pro Member

Just started my new pup last week, can't imagine not doing it. The older dog gets up on the table with him and shows him what will be expected, for a treat of course!

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:32 pm
MMT Member

I am all in . Thanks to Double R for explaining it in further detail and offering assistance.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:17 pm
MMT Pro Member

HRCH Fallflight's Dark Storm A Comin
HR Fallflight's Cocoa Painted Lady

Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

I agree, you couldnt have said it better then that.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:54 pm
MMT Pro Member

im no dog trainer but i have trained two of my own. I aslo wondered about the force fetch with mine but i got my dogs to pick up every thing from cordlees drill to trash out of the yard. All i did was spend alot of time with them and keep them involved. Every time i walked the yard i carried fire wood he had his wood to carry also.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:20 pm
MMT Pro Member

I believe it's important but not the only god given commandment in dog training-some of mine have taken 1 mos(latest YLM 8mos) and some 3-4 days--but i do it- on floor sitting on my wheelie stool- or on tail gate of truck-I use only ear pinch- start with my gloved hand-then hold- then fetch fron hand- then from floor-then waliking fetch- then stick fetch- then fetch no fetch and then it's now and we move on to CC. I am no pro but all my dogs(2 BLM's and one YLM) bring all bumpers/birds to hand and wait till I take them-none of my meals hit the ground once taken up by dogs so i am happy.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:04 am
MMT Member

Force fetch is a stepping stone for all future pressure throughout a dogs life.(as already stated) The fetching part is just a small part of the process. I had a female lab that was very timid from the get go, but as soon as she got through ff she was capable of doing advanced work. Did she enjoy the pressure? No. She accomplished the task without shutting down though. Being able to shut off that pressure is more important than actually picking up and holding that bird. BTW that lab that was so timid is now a Master Hunter. If you have any questions about the process let me know.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]