It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 How much food? 
MMT Addict

Post How much food?
I just got a male lab, he is a little over 1 and weighs about 80lbs. How much food should he eat, how many times a day?

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:37 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: How much food?
All depends on what he looks like and what kind of food.

He is 80 pounds now and only a year, is he skinny or fat? Need more facts.

My two girls are 50-55 pounds and are in great condition. Kind of can see the ribs but don't want them gaunt looking. If you feed a premium feed they will eat much les and be able to utilize what they get in a much better fashion. In my opinion a dog on the lean side will out perform and out last a dog on the heavier side. Seen both sides in my business and this is what I have noticed.

If ya want for help PM me the phone #.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:21 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: How much food?
I feed min Pro-Plan. Been on a bunch of different foods due to what I thought was skin allergies, stomach problems, etc and finally found out the skin problems were due to an outside summer time allergy. Anyway my dog is almost 2 and he get about 4.5 cups of large breed Pro-Plan a day divided into two feedings. He usually stays around 83 pounds sometimes dipping to 78 ish or 86 ish depending on how much he is working. I know in the cold hunting season it takes more food then in the summer and I have to adjust him on the fly up or down using the 4.5 base. I agree with the other post, a little on the lean side is better than a heavy weight. Alot of people you see with Labs that are just family pets keep them way to heavy so alot of people think that is how they should look. Just watch him and adjust accordingly to keep him looking good.

My $.02

Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]