It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Hot spots, hair loss, and overall phucked up coat. 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Hot spots, hair loss, and overall phucked up coat.
My Lab Magnum has developed a football size hot spot on his side along with what normally I would consider fly bites on his ears.

The best way I can describe it is that it is located on the inside of the ears, but not down into the canal and very sensitive to touch also it is scaly as is the hot spot area.

His coat is not anything like it use to be. His coat is also thin overall with little to no undercoat and dry to the touch.

I recently switched his food from Proplan Lamb and Rice to Diamond Lamb and Rice about 2 months ago.

He was also given his rabies vaccine 3 weeks ago and I have been using Promeris for his flea and tick along with Interceptor for Heartworm for the last 3 years.

Only things that have I have change is his food and I am currently switching that back.

The hot spot area began a few weeks ago, but the thin undercoat has been present a little longer and he has always been a heavy shedder. I also train him on a local lake with a fair amount of vegetation present.

I'm hoping it is a diet issue, and that it can be corrected by switching back to ProPlan before he becomes a candidate for the ugly dog award.

Any advise guys????

Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:25 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Hot spots, hair loss, and overall phucked up coat.
Might get the vet to see if he has an allergy if the food don't fix it. I use Frontline 'tween the shoulders and Tri-heart Plus heartworm pills, she eats Iams big breed. But each dog's different.

35 GTR chasing a 1650 Polarkrap.

Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:56 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Hot spots, hair loss, and overall phucked up coat.
The last time I went visit my dog before she left to to go michigan for training she had those fly bites on her ears too. I took her to the vet and she said that putting vicks vapor rub on them would keep the flys from going back to them and it would give the wound time to heal.

Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]