It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Dog Kennel during work. 
MMT Pro Member

Post Dog Kennel during work.
Guys, wondering how long most of you leave your dog in the kennel during work? I have my Boykin in a 10 x10 kennel with a shade top elevated by wood decking about 8" of the ground. I sometimes am not able to get home for almost 10 hours and he has never gone to the bathroom in the kennel. I am wondering if he is in pain and not going and if it would be better if part of the kennel was in grass? Thank you for your insight and recomendations.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:12 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Re: Dog Kennel during work.
Give him some grass.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:17 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Not a hunting dog, or an outside kennel, but my pup will sometimes go a couple days when the weather is bad/cold. She is a sissy, dont like the cold or the rain, just runs and gets in her crate when I try to let her out. I kinda feel bad about it, but I'd have to assume if she was in pain, she'd go. That being said, I think he's probably ok. I don't like leaving mine locked up that much, but it happens, and I really don't think she minds.

If you can give him grass, by all means, go for it, but he's likely okay waiting for you as long as it isn't an everyday kinda thing.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:31 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Concrete. No digging, wears their nails down. You can bleach it to et rid of any germs/parasites periodically (or after you dog gets some like giardia).

My dogs also hold it for 12 hours at times. Dogs do not want to go to the bathroom near where they eat/sleep/etc. I've heard it's an evolutionary thing so that predators cannot find them as easily. Or maybe they just don't like to wallow in their own filth like cattle.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:32 pm
MMT Addict

10 hours is not a problem for them at all. I think ten hours is actually common for most people that work 8 hours a day with travel time. My old golden seemed almost like a camel! That is unless he had a stomach ache and then NASTY!!!!!! Happened a few times over his life and I barely could hold my lunch cleaning it up!

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:56 pm
MMT 1000 Club

If he holds it in a 10x10, he's fine. There's plenty of room in there that he'll go if he needs to. My parent's labs as they got older stopped doing either in the kennel while they're in it. It's 8x12 I think. Occasionally they'll pee, but it's rare, and they've been there for 12 hours before when I watched them while parents were gone and was working about 45 min away. Dogs will do their thing.

Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:24 pm
MMT Elite Member

Basically you have a dog who has some sense if he/she doesn't shit or piss in the kennel

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:55 pm
MMT Pro Member

Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]