It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Agressive behavior in boat 
MMT Pro Member

Post Agressive behavior in boat
My dad has a 3yo male black lab. Great retriever. We hunt him 2 days a week, on sundays I take him without my dad usually with a couple of buddys. I have worked with this dog and he is very comfortable working with me. The issue I've had the last two trips is him being aggressive in the boat. One trip he snapped at a buddy in the truck, my buddy turned around with a flash light and I think the dog was asleep and startled him, he snapped at his jacket, when we were picking up decoys my buddy went to put one in the bag, we were out of the boat, and he snapped and nicked him on the hand. The much more serious on happened yesterday when he snapped at another friend and tagged him in the face. Required stitches, took everything I had not to beat this dog to death. I am very cautious about socializing him with people I take with me at the ramp. The dog always sits on the bow of the boat. We were hunting out of the boat yesterday and my friend went to grab something out of his bag at the front of the boat when this happened. I am not sure if the dog is getting startled or being protective. Anyone had issues with this. Probably going to end up putting the dog down as I would hate for there to be another incident.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:46 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Agressive behavior in boat
If it were me I'd put him down or find a farmer who needs a dog for security that lives in the middle of nowhere. I can't tell you because I don't know if you can fix agrees ion issues. Maybe cut his nuts and see if he straightens up. He's gotten away with it a couple times. He thinks it's okay and he has dominance over other humans. If it was my dog I would have shot him that day. That's just me
It's simple. get a mud motor. shoot ducks in the face.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:32 am
MMT 1000 Club

X2 on the nuts.
Give him that chance and then if he don't straighten up either send him off or put him down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:36 am
MMT 1000 Club

Mine has dog aggression issues,,,but not towards humans...Not sure what you can do about this! I know someone who had one like this and had him cut. This didn't do much to his behavior, just made him put on about 10lbs...

Its not so bad for me as all I do is keep him away from other dogs....But with people, I wouldn't have the first clue what to do other then wear his ass out...

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:05 am
MMT Pro Member

Get a shock collar. Hit the button when he snaps at somebody, he'll get the point

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:58 am
MMT 1000 Club

If his behavior is reactive hell learn and try to eat your ass.when you try to put it on him. From what I understand he stated whenever a situation arises that the dog doesn't like is when he's aggressive. If that's the case he isn't gonna respond to a collar well at all. When my dog is amped up he has a higher tolerance for the collar. And he ain't even mad. He's just excited.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:01 pm
MMT Addict

Does this happen when your dad is around or only when it's you and your buddies?

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:53 pm
MMT Pro Member

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:30 pm
MMT Pro Member

Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:56 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Maybe he doesn't like your friends dogs since things if you and your dad haven't been snapped at he might feel his territory is being invaded take him to a trainer

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain

Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:17 pm
MMT Pro Member

Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:18 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Go find a pro that deal with aggression in dogs if he checks out medically. It can be a sign of something minor or major, so vet should be first visit. And don't put him a position that he's done it before until he's completely proven he'll not do it in the boat when it's not hunting season.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:22 pm
MMT Pro Member

If you have a mean dog you just have to have more control over them and be aware of what and who may be around and also know the whereabouts of the dog at all times. Fixing him likely won't fix the issue as I'm assuming the reason he acts that way is out of fear as opposed to dominance/ other intact male dog reasons. My dog is a mean fuckin bastard (which is just the way I like him) and I know never to have him around children. I also give new people fair warning how he is going to act around them until he warms up to them. Same deal he was beaten by a trainer as a pup... If you can't handle the extra work it takes to handle a dog like that give him away. I wouldn't shoot a dog until he needs to be put down... Kinda like shooting your kid for getting in a fight at school...

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:45 pm
MMT Elite Member

Ceasar Milan whispers to dogs like this.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:51 pm
MMT Addict

I cannot stand aggressive dogs and cannot ever think of a reason that I would want one. If I have to wait for him to warm up to people or take special care with him around others I am not going to feed him. Maybe the first time he got startled but it sure would seem he has shown his true colors and is territorial. I will admit that I have been bitten twice so my patience for aggression is slim lol. If getting rid of him is not an option then he needs to be worked in the boat with others to understand his spot in life. Dogs need to know that they are not in charge of anything, ever.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

The reason you put aggressive dogs down is to keep people from getting hurt. To me the health of my friends and others and possibly kids is more important than a dogs life. If you can't take a hunting dog around other people. You're gonna have a lonely pissed off dog or you'll hunt by yourself forever. Good luck finding a trainer or someone who thinks they have the know how or time to fix your dog. Never heard of an agreessive dog ever being changed because they usually fuck up enough to be put down.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:54 pm
MMT 1000 Club

It definitely fixable in most cases. Lack of understanding or the inability to communicate effectively with the dog (which doesn't need to be a beating) to establish dominance and make him realize he's wrong and why doesn't mean it's the dog's fault. The largest part of incorrect behavior in a hunting dog is usually reinforced by the owner without the owner even realizing it. That's not on the dog. And yes, I've dealt with 2 very aggressive dogs in recent history that are now wonderful dogs. Don't give up on him. You'll be surprised and happy when you figure out how to get his mind right, and he'll be happy too.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:06 pm
MMT Pro Member

Yeah totally if you plan to be hunting with children, or a lot of new people that's an absolute no no. It's all situational and from the standpoint of the original poster that behavior needs to be corrected or an ultimate decision needs to be met.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:16 pm
MMT Addict

Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:16 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I hope you can get him brought around, in all seriousness. If you're gonna try rehabilitation or whatever you want to call it. You should write a thread tracking this dogs progress and prove people with the same mindset as me wrong

Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:22 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Damn dude just have all his fucking teeth pulled and move on..Hello!!!

Hoyt Mods and some other goodies

Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:20 am
MMT 1000 Club

Lol jimmy wins

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:45 am
MMT 1000 Club

We had this happen to a dog a few years back, it started with a nip every now and then and eventually started to get worse. Finally went to the vet to get looked at and found out that his sight was going south. He ended up almost blind by the time we caught it. He was being aggressive because he didn't know what was coming at his face when someone reached to pet his head. It was a sad thing really. You had to talk to him and almost explain that you were about to touch him and ease your hand down for him to smell, after that, he was the same ol dog.

Either way around, I'd consider seeing a vet to see if there is something else happening with the dog.

-Custom pool noodle
-stage 4 water wings

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]