It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Anyone out there ever hunted a labradoodle? 
MMT Pro Member

Post Anyone out there ever hunted a labradoodle?
Thinking about investing in good duck dog in the next few months. Obviously I dont think theres really beating a pure bred lab. But those labradoodle's sure are good looking dogs so I thought I'd start a thread and see if anybody's ever had one or seen one work atleast?

Do yall think it would be hard to find a trainer to assist me in teaching a labradoodle to go after some greenheads?

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:45 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Anyone out there ever hunted a labradoodle?
I know poodles were originally hunt dogs but does anyone still have some that hunt.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:50 pm
MMT 1000 Club

i have always owned and hunted labs, but know of a fella who swears by standard poodles as duck dogs. He's got titles to prove it.

Well they call me king turd up here on shit mountain, but if you want it you can have the crown.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:27 pm
MMT Elite Member

No way I would go and mix 2 dogs to make a hunting dog that's supposed to be solid. No lab boykin mixes, no lab poodle mixes. Stay with a pure bred dog to avoid health complications. And, those things are stupid expensive to boot. I have a friend who has one (he tried to train it) and it's not worth the bullet that it needs. There's always a standard poodle or 2 at a hunt test. They can do the work, but I've never seen one that looks near as good as a lab at doing it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:21 am
MMT 1000 Club

Family friend has one and it isn't a hunting dog imho.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:04 am
MMT Pro Member

don't pay for a designer dog that's a mutt to begin with . If any turn out to even be a working gundog , it's a very low percent of a chance for it to happen . If you are going to pay , then get one with the genetics to do the work . If you want to take a chance , then get a mix retriever that was a accident breeding and go for it , your chances are better . As far as the standard poodle , yes they were used , but finding one in this country from the right breeding that wasn't bred out of them is very very hard to find . Go with the one for success , if your wanting a working dog

Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:00 pm
MMT Pro Member

My EX girlfriend has one of those. Fuqin dumbest dog I've ever seen. I hated that thing. Wouldn't fetch or do anything right expect not listen. I realize she got him as a house pet but to me a 90lb stupid white clumsy dog is way to much for a house pet. She had that thing groomed and pampered all the time and when we took him out on the river and he got wet he smelled like a damn skunk. Not to mention he was an idiot in the boat. I'd let him and my lab out to do their business before we went to bed and the dumb son of a bitch would roll in my dogs piss all the time. Then I'd let them in and that dumb fucker would piss right in the entry way of my house. Then I'd clean it up with his face. This dog was 2 years old I might add. I would never get a dumb ass labradoodle or anything doodle. I know poodles are supposed to be smart and crap and it was pry just this one that was stupid but I'm not impressed with poodles. It's like puttin a mud motor on a deep V boat and wondering why it doesn't perform. Straight up lab is the only way to go in my opinion.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:08 am
MMT 1000 Club

My wife got one when it was 10 weeks old. I got rid of it before it was 14 weeks old. The people that took it ended up with a 90 pound silver colored house dog that did not shed and was actually pretty obedient.... and that is about it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:45 am
MMT Pro Member

My uncle hunted labs and chessies his entire life.... Until his new wife wanted a mutt. An over priced lab bred to a poodle. Its a mutt, stop with the damn designer dog names. The dogs should be free.

Either way, he tried to train this mutt and its worthless for hunting. She is a nice house dog, friendly, easier going, but lacks what it takes to be a respectable retriever. I can't say all of them would be like that, as I have seen many worthless purebred dogs.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:29 am
MMT Pro Member

If you're l wanting to "invest" in a good hunting dog then why would you even be considering anything but a good hunting dog. Get a purebred hunting lab or chessie or Boykin and put the time into Training it and be happy for 13-15 years. Instead of gettin a mutt and wondering how it's gonna be. But it's your money.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:45 am
MMT Pro Member

Yea all makes sense Ive heard alot of the same things from anyone else I've talked to. I did figure it would make more sense to get a pure bred versus take the risk with something mixed.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:12 am
MMT Addict

In this day and age, you can't do what it takes to make a good new dog breed. There's a lot of "culling" required and PETA would be all over anyone that tried.

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:50 am
MMT Member

I have one its not dumb by any means but it's no hunting dog

Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]