It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Hunt tests / Field trials - Training 
MMT Pro Member

Post Hunt tests / Field trials - Training
I am looking for advice on how to become a member of a retriever club in MS as well as where to find info on hunt tests/field trials or training days in my area. AKC's website is not too user friendly in that I can't find a listing of clubs or events in my area or can't find that button to search for area listings. Anyway if someone could chime in and add contact info or a link it would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:24 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Hunt tests / Field trials - Training
Entry Express & Hunt Secretary

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:34 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thank you Ducaholic

Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:15 pm
MMT Pro Member

where is your location

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:46 pm
MMT Pro Member

Laurel, MS

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:59 am
MMT Elite Member

North Ms is having a test (akc) this weekend I believe. Look in entry express in the akc hunt test section. I think it's in Como. Great place to meet like minded folks who love to train in your state

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:33 pm
MMT Pro Member

Look up South Mississippi HRC or West Mississippi HRC . They may have a small training group in your area where guy's get together . Also they would know if Alabama may have a club that's close since your not far from the state line .

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:36 am
MMT Pro Member

I found an HRC called Southern Flight, I believe the closest next hunt test around MS after this weekend is in August in Bruce, MS. Thanks for the help fellas. Really appreciate it, now I've just got to figure out a way to keep everything in the house from having teeth marks and we'll be in business!

Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:35 pm
MMT Pro Member

South Mississippi HRC is mostly based out of Columbia and that's where they usually run their tests.

But, get used to running at the Cattle Ranch, as most of the Mississippi and Alabama clubs have their tests there.

Their FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/South-Mississi ... 319998323/

Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:05 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thanks CS! I'm looking forward to getting involved with this new adventure with my pup, he's coming along... August he will be 6 months, that is the next trail I believe in MS. Do they do junior hunt tests for pups that age? There's got to be a guideline/test summary for age and types of tests to perform on the interweb but Google has its limits I guess... Does anyone on here have a contact or web page of what Info I'm looking for?

Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:56 am
MMT Pro Member

3 months, gettin it!Image1465570641.804566.jpgImage1465570641.804566.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:57 am
MMT Pro Member

As has been previously stated, you should check Entry Express for AKC hunt tests (they do have a few HRC tests listed) and Huntsecretary for HRC tests. Some tests offer puppy stakes and some don't. You just have to check the premiums for each test. I'd advise you to spend some time just clicking around on each of the two sites to get a feel for the entry process. It's not too hard once you get the hang of it.

I'd also advise you to join RTF (Retriever Training Forum) and do a search on Junior tests....or Started tests. There's probably a description of each on RTF. Also, check YouTube for videos....just enter "Junior hunt test" or "Started hunt test"....you'll probably be able to pull up some videos of each type of test, along with the upper test levels too.

Both the AKC website and the HRC website have PDFs of their respective rule books that you can download for free and print out. Definitely do that, although there won't be a description of any Puppy Stakes in the rule book(s).

Generally, puppy stakes, if offered, are very informal affairs conducted around lunchtime at a full hunt test. There usually isn't an entry requirement on-line, you just show up and run your puppy. The entry fee is very nominal (like $5) and it's mostly for kids and people with young puppies that just want to see their puppy "run". You'll get a participation ribbon and they're pretty darn comical.

If you decide to wait to enter a "real" test....like Junior (AKC) or Started (HRC) then you're going to want to enter on-line via the entry services listed above. HRC tests do allow "walk-ups" to pay and run, but you're taking a chance if the test fills up.

Generally, Junior and Started tests consist of two singles on land, and then two singles on water. The judges can either set up a very easy test or a ball buster (for a young dog). Junior tests also usually have a shot flyer, so if you're going to run a Junior test, make sure your pup has had some exposure to shot flyers.

Central Louisiana HRC has an August test in the Alexandria area where you can get your feet wet and drive around to the various stakes and begin to learn the ropes. It's usually hot as heck at that test, so take appropriate precautions by having plenty of ice and water on hand. A shade umbrella also comes in handy if you can't find a good tree to pull under to keep the pup in the shade. The participants will be very friendly and welcome you and answer any questions you may have (and you'll have plenty).

The lower levels of HT's are usually a lot of fun and pass or fail, most handlers realize that young pups often do zany things. So, just enjoy it....before too long it gets more serious.

Personally, I haven't run a minor stake in a long time, since I usually run All-Age Field Trials. But, I did judge a Started HRC test in May and had a ball watching the young dogs and handlers.

Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:39 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thank you very much CS, this is great info and I will look into going to LA in August as well. Thanks for sharing again, I appreciate it

Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:42 pm
MMT Pro Member

You're welcome.

I would also suggest some FaceBook groups (if you're on FB). HRC has a group. Another really good one is Real Field Trial Talk, where field trailers commonly post pics and breakdowns of field trial sets. The sets are much bigger than anything you'll ever see in a HT, but the concepts are the same. My main training partner posted some really nice technical singles we ran yesterday.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:58 am
MMT Pro Member

Thanks CS again! Couldn't help it I'm proud of my pup... 6 months in Bruce, MS this weekend Champ passed both first started tests. No doubt I was more nervous than he was, but he did great... Thanks again for all the help mmt members
IMG_2866.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:48 pm
MMT Pro Member

Fast forward a year later, had a kid in between so set back my dog time, but we finally got SHR. On to trying for the HRC.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:43 am
MMT 1000 Club

Well done!

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:42 am
MMT 1000 Club

Congrats! Good lookin dog too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:52 am
MMT Pro Member

Thnx! He's definitely got the want to! I'm excited about getting into seasoned tests next with him.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:21 pm
MMT Pro Member

Well done! Congrats!

I was at that test too, judging Finished.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:55 am
MMT Pro Member

Good job. Good looking PUP

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:08 pm
MMT Pro Member

Should be some test in our neck of the woods middle or late October. Okeechobee

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:10 pm
MMT Pro Member

Nice! Goal is to get to HRC by 3. I think he'd do everything from the seasoned test after watching a few, but keeping him at heal during the walk up, however you call that first test, would be my biggest concern. He takes hand signals well and blinds so calming him down is the biggest challenge. Come hunt test day it's like I feed him drugs and give a shot of adrenaline when he gets up.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]