It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 New padnuh 
MMT 1000 Club

Post New padnuh

Well, I lost my hunting padnuh this past march, so now I get to start over again with a new one. I can already tell she has a completely different personality than my last dog. I trained my last one myself, and plan on doing the same with this one, except this time I would like to run more hunt tests and try to get her to at least an HRCH title. I ran my last dog in a started test once to see what it was about, but I never pursued running seasoned with her even though she was more than capable of it.

Anyways, when I trained my last dog, I basically just did research and read different books and put it all together to achieve what I wanted out of her...not really a set program or anything, just kind of a mashup of different methods and ideas. With the new pup, I think I wanna buy Mike Lardy's Total Retriever Training 2 and following it until she is finished. I've read that his program is kind of the benchmark for all other programs. But is it the best out there? I mean I've got experience training now and I know what I'm doing so I feel like with the right program I could make my new pup a jam up dog. Thoughts?

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:44 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: New padnuh
Man I wish I'd have stuck with training my dog better than what I did. I trained her as much as I could by myself from a bunch of old books from my grandfather and some other friends had. She does good but not up to her full potential. My own fault but gettin married, buying a house n having a baby pretty well shot my free time in the ass but I wouldn't change a thing. Good luck and congrats on the new hunting buddy

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:03 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thanks, brick...yeah, last time I was kidless...nowadays with all the damn kids I have it's gonna be a challenge to be able to spend the time that I did with the last one...but that's what it takes is lots and lots of time!

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:09 pm
MMT Pro Member

Lardy's is the gold standard and it helps that you have some experience. Other good ones are Evan Graham's Smartwork for Retrievers and Rick Stawski's Fowl Dogs.

The 2016 NARC is this week. It is always fun to follow the setups and dogs.
http://2016narc.blogspot.com/

Buck

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:16 am
MMT 1000 Club

Thanks, I'll look into those two also. That's a good link to the NARC, I like how they have videos of the test dog up, cool to watch.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:21 am
MMT Moderator

great looking pup!

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:25 am
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

Thanks WEA!

Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]