It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Opinions on my next dog 
MMT Pro Member

Post Opinions on my next dog
First I'll explain I have had labs most of my adult life. Mostly females and they worked as I hunted water fowl, a few were decent bird dogs as well. In the last year I lost both my Labs, and my Lady and myself are lost without a dog. The rub is now I don't get out hunting as much pushing 70 and we wanted a slightly smaller breed, YET I still want a sporting dog to at least train and take on the boat. What we picked was an American Water Spaniel and a deposit went out to NC for a pup from the next litter.
Has anyone worked with this breed?
Thanks much from an old guy.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:28 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Opinions on my next dog
Here is a good person to talk to about AWS. David is very involved in their breeding and training.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... -McCracken

Buck

Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:30 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thank you, I started following the link and will join that forum he posts on. As an aside his one male (Gumbo) will no doubt be the father of the litter I'm waiting for.
Thanks again, Wayne

Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:17 am
MMT Pro Member

I know David , he's a HRC Judge and good guy as well . His only down side is he's from South Carolina . Just kidding , if something different , I've seen Gumbo work , and would hunt behind a well bred AWS .

Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:14 pm
MMT Pro Member

I had mostly labs my life as well but do all my deer hunting in Zapata Tx. With the terrain and all the cactus how it is there I wanted a smaller breed. I got a Blue Lacy about 7 months ago and I am very pleased with the decision. I just got her out of Blood Dog Scent training and couldn't be happier with her. Still needs a little more Obedience training but over all they are a great breed. Females average between 35 and 40 pounds and Males between 40 and 50 pounds. Just my .02. My only issue now is that I want another one lol.

Mine came from this breeder here.

http://www.mslacydog.com/puppies.html

Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]