It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Seizures in Labrador 
MMT Pro Member

Post Seizures in Labrador
Anybody ever have a Labrador to have seizures? I have a 2 1/2 year old female black lab and she started having seizures about 4 months ago. She had a couple and I got her put on some medicine. She went seizure free for two months and then had one a couple days ago. Anyone ever had experience with this or have any insite on this?

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:39 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Seizures in Labrador
not a lab but i had a pointer that would have them occasionally. her litter mates had them to. something in that bloodline. the old timers i hunt with say that giving them water mixed with honey helps them. i doubt it. when they would have them while hunting (very rare) we would put them up and keep an eye on them. most of the time after an hour or so they were ready to go again.

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:18 am
MMT Pro Member

The only thing that worries me is her having one while on a retrieve in the water

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:24 am
MMT Sponsor

My brothers dog has had them for years, Scary as hell and hard to watch. They come and go but when he has one he's wiped out for a few days. Doesn't have them near as much but is getting older and doesn't push himself as hard.

gatorheads@comcast.net

Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

When mine has one they will be 1-2 minutes long but after they are done she hops up and is fine

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:09 pm
MMT Addict

I have a four year old that has "Grand Mal" seizures. They started when he was about a year old right after he got back from training. He is on enough phenobarbitol and potassium bromide to kill the average human being but it was the only way to stop the seizures. It makes him too high to hunt. I still take him once or twice a year but keep him in shallow ponds because if he swims with a bird he aspirates water (look up dry drowning).

I spent time and money at LSU to see if there was something that could be fixed causing them. The result was lots of money wasted and a diagnosis of "idiopathic epilepsy"-basically defined as "he has seizures and we don't know why".

It's really a shame. High as a kite he puts some meat dogs I have hunted over to shame. I am pretty sure he would have been better than my 12.5 year old that hunted 40+ days his 11th year and almost never lost a bird.

Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]