It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Colts first hunt 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Colts first hunt
Took him hunting this evening for the first time at just over 5 months old and I was completly blown away. Only shot one bird and when It hit the water it wasn't completely dead yet and he had a solid mark on it and was crying his head off wanting to bail out there. Finally it quit moving and I sent him but he lost it in the decoys when it quit moving so I had to walk him out to about 10 yards from it and sent him on "back" and he went strait to it and brought it all the way back to the blnd and held it till I got back. Couldn't have been a more proud moment when I saw him sitting in the blind with a bird in his mouth just waiting on me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:27 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Colts first hunt
Congratulations man. You will never forget that. There is nothing quite like watching your dog make his/her first retrieve. Biggest thing you can do is make everything fun for him because If it's fun for him, it's fun for you. Quit painting his face.... Please... But other than that congrats on your new hunting buddy and be sure to post updates on him!

Well they call me king turd up here on shit mountain, but if you want it you can have the crown.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:21 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thanks man. I took him out with me not concerned about killing anything I mainly took him out to let him swim through the decoys and retrieve bumpers in the decoys because he's only ever done it in the yard. Figured it was a good opportunity to put water in the mix now.

And what's wrong with paint? :lol: his yellow face sticks out just as bad as any persons does lol only difference is im not putting face paint on when I can just use a mask

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:51 am
MMT 1000 Club

Good job dude

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:53 am
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

No need to paint because the ducks won't flare off him. Ducks will come right on with a yellow dog in the decoys. Their eyes are able to distinguish "not human movement" from "human movement" and they generally could care less about a dog. They'll just typically try to light 15 yards or more away.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:37 am
MMT 1000 Club

Gotcha. Guess I didn't realize that, all I saw was his yellow face sticking through the green bushes when I was out throwing decoys.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:12 pm
MMT 1000 Club

You don't necessarily want him drawing duck eyeballs to you, but if you're still/well concealed, it won't matter, and what you've put on him won't change anything if he moves. Color is far less important to ducks than shapes and movement when they're scoping a place to land.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:04 pm
MMT Member

Nice! He reminds me of a precocious YLM that I had, who became a Field Champoin (a noisy one!).
A word of warning on noise: if you don't want a noisy retriever, don't ever reward it, especially with a warm bird. If he whines to be sent, and then you send him, he'll become intolerable in short order. Practice in the yard: thrown a dummy, if he whines, or worse, barks, make him stay steady and quiet while you go get the dummy. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. When you throw one, and he is steady and quiet, send him for what it is he really wants. Transfer this yard work to the duck blind.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:29 am
MMT 1000 Club

Normally he sits pretty quiet and steady but I think the excitement got to him. I can throw dummy in the yard all the time and he sits steady and doesn't cry and every now and then I'll make him sit while I go get it just to check his steadyness. But he's been running through the decoys at home picking up bumpers and all that fun stuff and he loves to swim and this was the first time we put everything together for him, and add a floping around bird in the decoys didn't help anything. That is something I'll definitely keep in mind though and work on, appreciate it.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]