It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Colt 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Colt
Got ahold of a new to me camera today and was messing around with it in the yard and actually got a pretty good photo of the puppy dog

He'll be 7 months next week and weighed in at 64 pounds as of today, boy is growing like a weed!

On a side note, anyone got any tips or pointers on transitioning from check cord to e-collar? When i put the check cord on him he holds steady all the time and never breaks but the second i take it off he breaks like s bat outa hell. Was hoping maybe an e-collar would help remedy this but not sure how to transition to it because I know how easy it can be to ruin a dog if not done right...

IMG_0359.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:00 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Colt
good lookin dog man. Work him on that cord another month or so. He's young and needs all the positive reinforcement he can get.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:36 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thank you, hes still improving every week. He might get to hunt alittle this season. Nothing crazy though probably just a few laid back afternoons

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:20 am
MMT Member

Collar conditioning ought to be completed (thoroughly) before attempting to use an e-collar to fix a breaking problem. Also, force fetch ought to be completed (thoroughly) before collar conditioning, although, it can be done after collar conditioning.
If you have not done force fetch and collar conditioning, don't use an e-collar to try to eliminate breaking. If you go ahead without heeding this advice, Colt may think you no longer want him to retrieve (we call that a 'no go'). If you have completed force fetch and collar conditioning before you attempt to correct him for breaking, you will have the 'tools' installed to fix a 'no go' the very first time he refuses to go, after you have corrected him for breaking.

Thank me.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:31 am
MMT Pro Member

Fine looking dog.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:17 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:45 pm
MMT Member

You are wise to be cautious about training with an e-collar, although each dog is an individual, and some individuals are more sensitive to the electrical stimulations than others. Nobody can predict what might happen when you stimulate him with electricity the first time. You have done the most training with your dog, and hence, you know his temperament better than anyone else. What is his reaction like to a physical correction, such as a stiff jerk on the leash while he's wearing a choke collar, or pinch collar, or, to a stiff crack from your heeling stick? I've trained some dogs that needed more stimulation to train, or correct bad behaviors, than the e-collar could produce. Some individuals are averse to physical corrections, but not electrical corrections, and vice versa. Nobody knows until we get started.

That said, don't procrastinate about Colt's training. Force fetch ought to be done at about six months of age. If you wait too long, he'll be a real handful (it's easier to restrain a six month old, rather than a 120 pound, 2 year old). The main objective of "force fetch" is to formally teach, and then train your dog to 'hold,' 'drop,' and 'fetch' on command, just as you have taught, and then trained him to 'sit' and 'heel' and come 'here' on command. And by train, I mean, teach him precisely what are the consequences of him failing to comply with any command which you have previously taught him.

Collar conditioning can be done before force fetch, of after. Don't do both at the same time. Do one, then do the other. Collar conditioning is the process of replacing one correction tool (choke chain/leash) for another (e-collar). Once collar conditioning is complete, you can correct him at any distance, without having a check cord on him, and for any command that you have taught, and then conditioned him. If you've already taught him what 'sit,' 'heel,' and 'here' mean, and he understands why you correct him for not complying with any of those commands (using a choke chain/leash as the correction tool), you can begin to collar condition him replacing the correction method (stimulation from the e-collar versus a jerk on the choke chain/leash).
Some trainers, mostly field trialers, finish up force fetch with collar fetch, replacing the ear pinch or toe pinch correction, with the e-collar correction. After that, they force to a pile with the e-collar.

Training on breaking problems involves putting a lot of these commands together: here, heel, sit (it means stay, too), fetch, hold, here, hold, heel, hold, sit, hold, and finally drop.

You're welcome, anytime. I'm glad to help.
Good luck
Whack 'em and stack 'em

Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:18 pm
MMT 1000 Club

So got ahold of a good-ish collar yesterday. Didn't have a whole lot to spend on one but the DT MICRO IDT fit the budget. Vibrates, nick and Cont. buttons. Started him on "kennel" which i have read is the easiest place to start. This is going to be much harder than i was anticipating......the collar intensity goes from 1-15. When hes calm i could get a quick response and do what i wanted him to do on level 9. When he started to get wound up even on level 15 nothing phased him, paid no attention to it like it wasn't even there. And this was in Cont. mode using the apply pressure until he "turns it off" method.

Looking like i got a handful to deal with... :?

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:26 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Colt
Wow... You must have one stubborn pup, my collar DT Systems RAPT goes up to 16 and if it is charged up I work my 1 year old Ruby on 1-3 and only need nick on higher settings occasionally when she gets stubborn.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:28 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I honestly didn't think the collar was working so i put my hand on it, yeah it was working...i had it on him pretty snug but maybe it just wasn't quite tight enough

Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:55 pm
MMT 1000 Club

You got to wiggle it to make sure it is on skin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:15 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:55 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Make sure the collar is very tight. I put mine on with two fingers between the collar and the dog's neck and snug it. I've seen people keep turning up their collars because the dog wasn't responding. Then the collar makes contact at a very high setting and the dog is zapped out of it's mind and ruined....

Start at the lowest setting always. I do sit drills on leash (well after they know the command like second nature). I say sit (or one whistle blast) then turn on constant stim until their butt hits the ground. They have to know THEY can control the collar through their actions. Do this on the lowest setting.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:22 am
MMT 1000 Club

Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:47 am
MMT 1000 Club

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]