It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Rethinking the dog breed 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Rethinking the dog breed
About had myself sold that I need a retriever. I was looking pretty hard for a lab and did consider a Boykin.

I kind of wanted to stay away from a pup, and I just can not justify spending 5 grand on a started dog. It may be worth it to the big time water fowl hunter, but it is not something I have to have. I will fish more than I hunt out of my boat. No more than I duck hunt, a high dollar lab would be a waste of money

As I thought about it, I do miss my days of running walkers and redbones for raccoon. While I miss it, I do not want to get back into competition coon hunting.

I may take up something new to me. I am considering a black mouth cur, mountain cur, or mountain feist. This would allow me to have a dog that is a good pet around the house, but something that I can also train as a squirrel dog, and perhaps a short range coon dog to hunt the local creeks.

The black mouth cur is also well suited to work cattle and hogs. The Ladner line down in Mississippi would most likely suit me fine. I may even look to find one that is started on squirrel and just finish it out. I could even hunt some of the national forest from my boat.

I will do some calling around and see what I can find. Squirrel season is fast approaching. I would not mind buying a dog under the tree if I find what suits me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gator Tail XD 37 EFI -Delta Performance Level 3

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:39 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: Rethinking the dog breed
I hunt Feist myself and u won't go wrong with a cur or Feist good all a round dogs

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:19 am
MMT 1000 Club

We got a rat terrier that i take just about everywhere and we love her. I've been working her on squirrels, but I don't know if she's going to bark on tree. If I was to do it over I'd probably look at a started fiest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:23 am
MMT Member

I had a feist several years ago that would tree but no full bark just whine never could get him to

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:33 am
MMT 1000 Club

That's what mine is doing. My wife likes her so the dog is staying. I may end up getting a garmin Astro for her if I want to use her on squirrels.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:40 am
MMT 1000 Club

Jack Russell , rat terrier , jack rats , fiests . All great dogs. I've ran jack Russell's for well into 20 years now. These were ukc / Lkc breed for squirrels over generations.

H Finn

18x54 Uncle J -GTR - with the koolaid
Back H2o SWOMP 23 SS stage 2 15x36 GD Duck Skiff GATOR
GATOR GLIDE PROSTAFF
BACKWATER PROSTAFF
http://www.gatorglide.com

Coupe rest in peace brother

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:36 am
MMT Member

Hey Chuck, one of my buds got a black mouth pup a few months ago. He's already treeing squirrels, chasing hogs, tracking deer blood and he's retreaving bumpers. If you want to visit with him, I'll pm his number to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:38 am
MMT F.E.

You a few years ago, I went on a dove hunt, this 1 guy showed up with a standard poodle.(approx. 65lbs of fluffy foo foo dog) I laughed at this! Then the hunt began...... This poodle, complete with red toe nails, fetched ever dove that we knocked down. Soft mouth too, no damage to birds. He even said this dog would retrieve ducks on the water or in the muddy corn fields. Never ask about the squirrel thing. I priced getting one but $1200- 3000 was not for me!

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:57 am
MMT 1000 Club

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:00 pm
MMT 1000 Club

We have a fellow not to far from me in the Ozarks that breeds and competes with Mountain Feists. I am going to check and see what he has in young started dogs.

My daughter has a birthday in September. Thinking about getting her a good started dog, and then picking up a black mouth cur pup. If I have a cur, I want to be the one to socialize it from the start. Once it is old enough, I can train it with the Mountain Feist.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:24 pm
MMT Pro Member

JRTs can retrieve too!

https://www.facebook.com/alexvictoriabr ... 0185586748

Pretty fun to watch

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:17 pm
MMT 1000 Club

That's awesome

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:16 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Purchased my daughter a NKC Treeing Feist. It is only four months old but should be able to start hunting it this fall. We will at least start training him.

I am still looking at getting myself a dog.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:46 pm
MMT Member

Go to squirrel dog Central website they have all the info u can think of and several people have pups and started dogs for sale

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:43 am
MMT 1000 Club

Fishing pole, good line and a fresh road kill tail. All you need. Tie said tail and a slip weight to end of line . Start with trailing . Stand on your property, cast out horizontally away from your scent , retrieve and drag a good bit then set pole down. Have pup just then just follow you till they hit the drag/scent line, they will either cold trail till it runs out or hot trail to the pole. Advance from there. Over a limb, down the trunk, ground base , is what your working for . These dogs are smart. My bailey would raise every hair on her back around a squirrel tail. She hated them , but was murder on them as well.

H Finn

GATOR GLIDE PROSTAFF
BACKWATER PROSTAFF

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:01 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Depends on how you want to hunt, praise or discourage your dog being vocal, I prefer my jacks to bark and raise hell, but I grew up hunting thick swamps sometimes, and I want them to bark at base. It might sound mean but it was the way I was taught . I'd always wound the first squirrel they ever retrieve , I'd low back or hip shot with a .22 . The old man who started me years ago said you want that squirrel alive when it hits the ground , and hopefully when she runs in to get it . It bites her. She'll never be bit again. I listened, that first squirrel got her on the cheek, she put the teeth and shake to it after that . Every squirrel she ever ran in on after that got the teeth and shake a few times then she'd drop it , nose it , pick it up and bring it to me.

H Finn

GATOR GLIDE PROSTAFF
BACKWATER PROSTAFF

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:10 pm
MMT 1000 Club

While terriers are different than hounds, it sounds very similar on how you train them.

Nothing brings a young hound alive like putting a wounded coon on the ground and letting em fight it. Makes em hate coons.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:04 pm
MMT 1000 Club

One of the better hounds I ever handled. PKC Silver Champion Buddy. He was a hot nosed dog with a screaming bawl mouth that would hammer 120 barks a minute on the tree in any weather.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:10 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Little super stakes female was coming on strong. This was about the time I got out of coon hunting. I was pushing 20-25 nights a month on most months and my hunting was about to net me a divorce.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:12 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I always liked redbones, they were just hard to come by. So many women started bench showing them, they about bred the treeing ability out of them.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:13 pm
MMT 1000 Club

The African American kid in the pic lived in the projects not to far from where I lived in Phenix City, Alabama. I ran deer dogs in Alabama while I was going to college, and he saw me walking down the road one day and inquired about the dogs in my back yard.

He was 10 years old and had a real love of dogs, hunting, fishing, and such. He started helping me clean up in my kennel so I got him a singe barrel 20 gauge and he deer hunted with me. When season was about over he convinced me that we should take up coon hunting so we could run dogs year round. We started out with some dud round dogs, but as I learned and met some real coon hunters we started handling high dollar dogs for competition hunters.

Earvin was my friend. For a ten year old kid, he could bust swamps wide open. He could be chest deep in water, tromp through the briars, and never sniveled a bit. He was always ready to hunt, and we hunted all over the southern US. When I got commissioned and sent to Fort Bragg, Earvin came up and hunted one summer with me. We always got some strange looks when we went to try out a dog in another state. Once folks hunted with him, they were always impressed.

When I got out of hunting and had kids of my own, I saw less and less of him. After my Iraq deployment in 07-08 I ran into Earvin and we talked a while. He did not finish high school and was working at a car wash but he had never gotten into drugs or crime (unusual for a kid in the projects).

I lost track of Earvin and think about him often. He would be about 32 now. I wonder how he is doing and wish I could find him and hunt again.

The blue dog we were hunting in this pic is one of the finest dogs I ever handled. he was definitely the most accurate. When he located and locked it down, you could load the rifle. He put fur on the tree and when you put the coon on the ground, it would look like a pit bull hitting it.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:30 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Ranger I really like my hammer bred blue ticks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:46 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Meterman - I assume Dave Dean is dead by now? His line of blue dogs were pretty dominant back when I was hunting. I met Dave Dean in the late 90s at the Grand American and he was pretty old then.

I stopped coon hunting in 99 and never involved myself with the sport again. I would have no clue to what the dominant dogs or blood lines are today.

I have a pretty good memory of what lines in each of the breeds (except for plott hounds) were dominant.

Walkers - most everything had Houses' Lipper in their line. The dominant living dog in the 90s was Sacket Junior. Other big name walkers were Timber Rattler, Yadkin Tar Rattler...

English - Dooley was a common name, and Michigan Swamp Rooster was a big name stud dog.

Black and Tan - The few that I hunted were out of Raging Black Hoss, Ozark Screaming Bo, Black Land Ernie.

Blue Ticks- I remember Dave Dean's hammer line and Smokey River

Redbone - most dogs had Timber Chopper and Woody Woodpecker in their blood. Some of Fred Moran's dogs like Old Hickory were popular. Joe Melton's Fire Ball dogs were popular and At that time, Taylor's Guitar was still producing. There was a red dog in Texas that did well in the hunts but I no longer remember his name. Up in Michigan a fellow name Harry Omedian had a line of red dogs that did pretty good.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:31 am
MMT 1000 Club

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:07 am
MMT 1000 Club

Ya I have been out of it since 94 I remember those lines
I made Texas state hunt one year and was the only blue tick there , man they rode me hard , then we divided the casts we where 2nd back I won that cast buy a lot, as the night and other casts came in I was leading buy a lot , till the last one came in so I took 2nd , then I gave them hell lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:12 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I think once you've been around dogs, it's just in you , Once you've seen great dogs or had one, they impress apon you a athlete at the top of there game. I especially love they live on in memories at times like these. Ranger , I also love that bull headed straight in no hesitation charge.

H Finn

GATOR GLIDE PROSTAFF
BACKWATER PROSTAFF

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:13 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Huck - I agree.

Years ago I saw a painting or picture with a man and a hunting dog and it had a saying that said something to the effect "when a man is out with his dog, he is a boy again"

When I was a kid growing up in southern Michigan I had an intense desire to hunt, fish, and have dogs. I did not have anyone in my family that did those things, so I did it on my own. The dog part was not an option. Once I got grown, got into college, I went dog crazy. There is just something about seeing a dog trained to do a task out doing it. When I would bust brush getting to treed coon hounds, my mouth would water.

I am looking forward to training this little squirrel dog. he is a ugly little dude, but I already like his personality.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:59 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I like ugly dogs. I think they have more character. They do have funny personalities, you can really watch the wheels turn in those squirrel dogs as they try to figure something out.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:52 am
MMT Sponsor

buddy of mine is looking for a home for a couple or one German pointers if anyone is interested

gatorheads@comcast.net

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]