It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Marks 
MMT Member

Post Marks
Was wondering if one of you fellas can help me out. I have a dog that doesn't mark well. When I send him on a mark he will get fairly close and roll off it and the longer the mark the harder it gets. Am afraid his eyesight might be the problem but on the other hand if he sees the bird drop(maybe hears it splash down) he runs to it no problem. Any tips to check a dogs vision? Fresh ideas on training for blind marks are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:19 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: Marks
Find a flat field with no cover, ball parks and soccer fields are good for this. Start short and have a bird boy throw white bumpers. The dog should be able to see them as he is driving out there so he will be successful. If he gets lost, just have the bird boy help. Gradually increase the distances. When the dog is consistent with this, gradually add more cover so that the dog will have to hunt a little once he gets to the area of the fall. When you first do this, you can also have the bird boy scatter a few bumpers around the area prior to throwing that way it will be easier for the dog to find something. The goal in this is for the dog to use and start trusting his eyes to get to the area of the fall, instead of his nose.

Marking is a natural ability, it is a combination of eye sight, depth perception, memory and intelligence. Some dogs no matter how much training, will ever be good but can be improved. Just remember to keep him happy and excited, in order to mark well they need to be relaxed.

step to the line and lets see what you got.....guns up

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:37 am
MMT Addict

Good advice right there. Keepin um happy and confident that there is always going to be something there when you send um.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:48 am
MMT Pro Member

I agree. let the dog gain confidence by easy marks. also keep in mind to change distance of marks in training. this is a mistake some poeple make by throwing dummies for their dog. they have a max distance they can throw a dummy so when a dog needs to make a longer mark they will go to the range that you have created for them and turn around. just another tip.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:17 am
MMT Pro Member

Sometimes you have to face reality and understand that some dogs are not good markers, maybe you should consider getting another dog.

You will end up putting a whole lot of time into a dog that might turn out ok, or might not.

I would find another dog to spend my time on, one that can at least mark.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]