German Shorthair versus German Wirehaired 
MMT Pro Member

Post German Shorthair versus German Wirehaired
Trying to find out the goods and the bads

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:07 am
MMT F.E.

Post Re: German Shorthair versus German Wirehaired
For what purpose? I have a GSP and a lab. GSP is a very nice upland dog, but in general they do not handle the training for waterfowl well. Though they will retrieve, decheating, t-patterns, etc are a real pain in the ass and the reason I have a high performance lab now devoted to waterfowl.
DDs are supposed to be a better middle ground but I haven't trained one so I can't speak from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:35 pm
MMT Addict

My GSP can't handle cold water at all, very thin coat and thin skinned due to their high energy level. She is fixed and I still is VERY lean

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:51 pm
MMT Pro Member

I am looking, researching to get a different kind of hunting dog from my labs, and I live in Florida so it's not going to be that cold. My labs are fantastic I just wanted to train something different but still a good hunting dog. Also looking into pudelpointers? Any information on the three breeds would be helpful thank you so much

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:57 am
MMT 1000 Club

The wirehaired viszla looks interesting as well, in case you wanted yet another thrown into the mix.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:39 am
MMT Member

I've got a neighbor that has 2 wirehairs. They're not hunters, but they're exceptionally obedient. I asked him about their training and he said they both responded to pressure training very well and were looking to please, similar to a lab. I've been told that the wirehairs don't shed much since they have a hair coat as opposed to fur. They shed about as much hair as you or I do.

From what he's told me, wirehairs can be a bit more protective of their family like a Chessie can be and don't like strangers approaching too quickly. That being said, my 18 month old daughter is in love with both of them and they tolerate her as well as any lab would so I would think they would make wonderful family dogs as well as hunting companions. With the thicker coat I think they'd handle cold just fine, especially with a neoprene dog jacket.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:14 pm
MMT Pro Member

I'd look at a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Mine has a great nose, retrieves in water, and does upland. His coat doesn't shed near as much as a lab and he is hypoallergenic. The main reason I went with a griffon is because they have a fantastic prey drive in the field but are calmer than most hunting dogs in the house. He's kind when he knows a stranger is ok but is protective of the house and truck. I'll try to get a picture up shortly.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:42 am
MMT Pro Member

Got some close, friends that have got some GSP pups. Or have one coming. Will get some data. Thanks

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]