Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Cold paws 
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Cold paws
bluesky2012 wrote:
JBsuperG wrote:
Wchauvin wrote:
He should get used to it in time bro

I made him wear it around the house for a bit yesterday. He did seem to get a little more used to it for sure. But it is more difficult to put on than then I expected. The second time I was able to do it myself. I think maybe the material just needed to stretch around his summer sausage-like belly.

Put it on and then walk outside and throw yard marks. Give it a few sessions and he will associate it with fun. Same thing for a new dog blind, e-collar, etc.

If your dog is seriously hesitant, a lock winged pigeon to play with while wearing the vest will definitely change its tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He doesn't fight putting it on. It was just difficult to zip. After I had it on he acted weird for a couple minutes. I had him wear it for a while and he seemed good with it.

We even hunted tonight and he was fine. My biggest question is will it stretch a bit? I am going out him on a diet

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:47 pm
MMT F.E.

JBsuperG wrote:
bluesky2012 wrote:
JBsuperG wrote:
Wchauvin wrote:

I made him wear it around the house for a bit yesterday. He did seem to get a little more used to it for sure. But it is more difficult to put on than then I expected. The second time I was able to do it myself. I think maybe the material just needed to stretch around his summer sausage-like belly.

Put it on and then walk outside and throw yard marks. Give it a few sessions and he will associate it with fun. Same thing for a new dog blind, e-collar, etc.

If your dog is seriously hesitant, a lock winged pigeon to play with while wearing the vest will definitely change its tone.

He doesn't fight putting it on. It was just difficult to zip. After I had it on he acted weird for a couple minutes. I had him wear it for a while and he seemed good with it.

We even hunted tonight and he was fine. My biggest question is will it stretch a bit? I am going out him on a diet

Neoprene doesn’t seem to really stretch and hold to that new size well. Just cut your dogs food down, and also look at higher quality feed. Pro plan 30/20 is what most pros feed, and their dogs are also far leaner than your average house lab so without seeing your dog, that may be a good place to start.

Higher end feed like PP 30/20 is more expensive, but you feed about 1/2 as much so it’s the same price in the end but better for the dog.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:02 pm
MMT Pro Member

bluesky2012 wrote:
JBsuperG wrote:
bluesky2012 wrote:
JBsuperG wrote:
Wchauvin wrote:

Neoprene doesn’t seem to really stretch and hold to that new size well. Just cut your dogs food down, and also look at higher quality feed. Pro plan 30/20 is what most pros feed, and their dogs are also far leaner than your average house lab so without seeing your dog, that may be a good place to start.

Higher end feed like PP 30/20 is more expensive, but you feed about 1/2 as much so it’s the same price in the end but better for the dog.

Thanks. PP 80/20 is what he eats. He was getting 2 cup twice a day until he was about 10 months. Then went to 1.5 cups twice a day until recently. He is about 16 months an I am giving 1 cup twice per day. I'm going to look into once per day meal plans.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:18 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I don't know if my dog has a super high metabolism or is just extremely active. She is right at 2 years old and eats 8 serving cups a day of prop plan large breed blend with a little bit of purino 1 chicken and rice blended. She has been eating like this since about 6 months old and is right over 100 lbs. she is a block head. She has no fat on her and you can see her veins in her shoulders and thighs. I wish I could eat like that and stay ripped lol

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:24 pm
MMT F.E.

JBsuperG wrote:
bluesky2012 wrote:
JBsuperG wrote:
bluesky2012 wrote:
JBsuperG wrote:
[quote="Wchauvin"]He should get used to it in time bro

Thanks. PP 80/20 is what he eats. He was getting 2 cup twice a day until he was about 10 months. Then went to 1.5 cups twice a day until recently. He is about 16 months an I am giving 1 cup twice per day. I'm going to look into once per day meal plans.[/quote]

It’s all very relative to age, genetic predisposed size, etc.

Mine at 5 years old is 70 lbs and gets 3/4 cup twice a day. Used to eat more but no need now.

It’s easy to overfeed a lab. Hard to underfed them. Once the dog hits 2, cut back it’s good till it loses a few lbs and gets lean, then bump up till it holds a good lean weight. If you’re feeding 30/20 or a similar food, it will get all the nutrients it needs for healthy joints at around 1.5 cups per day as an adult (+- some depending). The fatter the dog the higher the odds of hip problems and busted knees on whistle sits.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:52 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Yeah, that's just the thing man, my dog is real lean, just has a massive frame. She is a lot bigger than most of the other hunting labs around our area. Hopefully she does cut back on consumption as she gets older, cause it's not cheap lol

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:48 pm
MMT F.E.

Wchauvin wrote:
Yeah, that's just the thing man, my dog is real lean, just has a massive frame. She is a lot bigger than most of the other hunting labs around our area. Hopefully she does cut back on consumption as she gets older, cause it's not cheap lol

No it’s not. Better quality food end up saving me a little bit not much. Some people like big labs, I like medium to small size, but sometimes genetics just play a wild card. I expected mine to be below 60lbs (wanted 45lbs) and he ended up a decent chunk over, even while very lean. Is what it is sometimes. Most trail and HT labs come from small lean lines but it’s not always a guarantee.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:07 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Yeah I thought mine was going to be about 50-60 lbs but she ended up being a lean 100 lbs. definitely ain't no pirogue dog lol

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:24 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Don't be afraid to tailor the vest. If too small and binding around the armpits, you can cut away material. If you have to go up a size because it's too constraining in one area (my dog has an ant like waist but a huge neck and chest), you can take in the extra material by cutting small triangle out (called "darts") and reattaching using a quality neoprene cement. I use O'Neils surfing neoprene cement and hand stitch and I've heard others use Blocksurf. I have heard Aquaseal will NOT work for this purpose.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:52 pm
MMT F.E.

MNGunner wrote:
Don't be afraid to tailor the vest. If too small and binding around the armpits, you can cut away material. If you have to go up a size because it's too constraining in one area (my dog has an ant like waist but a huge neck and chest), you can take in the extra material by cutting small triangle out (called "darts") and reattaching using a quality neoprene cement. I use O'Neils surfing neoprene cement and hand stitch and I've heard others use Blocksurf. I have heard Aquaseal will NOT work for this purpose.

That’s interesting. Never heard of that. Have done neoprene repairs with 3M 5200 but this is interesting for tailoring.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:26 pm
MMT 1000 Club

bluesky2012 wrote:
MNGunner wrote:

That’s interesting. Never heard of that. Have done neoprene repairs with 3M 5200 but this is interesting for tailoring.

I know one guy that only uses the neoprene cement and holds it together while it "welds." I have found quickly stitching while someone else holds works. You gotta go kind of quickly, but the stitches don;t need to be perfect--they just hold everything in place while the cement works. Like in woodworking when you glue something and then pin it with brads to hold until the glue cures. I haven't used the 3M 5200 but know they make awesome products.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2