It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Nuetering? 
MMT Pro Member

Post Nuetering?
Hey guys,

I have an 11 month old male yellow lab. He has been doing well in training, did very well with hunting this year, and was sent to a pro for his force fetch training at the first of the year. The trainer has recommended that I have him nuetered due to his aggresive nature towards other dogs, wanting to run off, and just being wild in general. When with me he got along with every person and dog he met, he was a little wild though. My concern is that I have heard horror stories about people having thier dogs nuetered and them turning into lap dogs (not wanting to hunt or get out in the cold during duck season). The trainer says that as long as you keep them working and training after the operation it will not effect them. My vet says the same. What do you'll think? Anyone had good luck with a nuetered dog? I dont really want to do it but its better than him running off and getting killed.

Thanks for any input.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:00 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Nuetering?
Jett

I would'nt neuter him until he is at least 2. Secondly I say BS about your trainers comments. Neutering the dog will not fix the dogs aggressive behavior. Apparently he did not discipline the dog when it first showed aggrssive behavior and now it is a problem. My experience is that if you discipline the dog at the first sign of aggression, I mean even a growl, you can stop it quickly. If left unchecked it will become a problem and a danger to other dogs and your family. We have a rule at our kennels... 2 dogs get in fight both dogs get their arse kicked by humans....period! Your trainer is looking for a easy solution for his lack of obedience training. When you discipline a dog for aggressive behavior, it must be swift and have a long lasting effect. I am not condoning abusing your dog, but you have to get the point accross thoughly that this behavior is unacceptable! Stop it now before its to late and you have to get rid of your dog.

HRCH Fallflight's Dark Storm A Comin
HR Fallflight's Cocoa Painted Lady

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:03 am
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

Jett

Is your trainer using a ecollar? If so has the dog been collar conditioned?

HRCH Fallflight's Dark Storm A Comin
HR Fallflight's Cocoa Painted Lady

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:09 am
Profile WWW
MMT Elite Member

If I cutt your nutts off would you be less aggressive??? :o :shock: :cry:

I'd bet you would be pissed at me and show a whole hell of alot of aggression. :mrgreen:

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:17 pm
MMT Pro Member

Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:34 pm
MMT Pro Member

I have had them both ways and cuttin'em never took care of anything that "they" said it would. I think vet's just see to many strays and push the issue. I'd keep him pinned up and keep working him. Good Luck

Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:41 pm
MMT Member

I agree with or without neutering it does not make a difference. All the dogs I have worked with that was aggressive just needs to be kept out of a situation to be aggressive until further along in training. My personnel dog bite me one time in training and he realized once we were done that was not a good idea. Good luck!!!

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]