It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 18 x 54 Uncle J Custom Boats "TG Edition" w/36 HP Prodrive 
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: 18 x 54 Uncle J Custom Boats "TG Edition" w/36 HP Prodri

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:26 pm
MMT Elite Member

Now, I am just flat out tired and frustrated. I forgot to mention during the bow busting/spud bending ordeal, I had noticed a live shrimp go by in the water. I thought to myself, “Well, there’s some bait swimming around…if only this wind would let up, I could fish!” Turned out, that shrimp was one of about thirty that swam out of the bait bucket that got slammed between the bow of the boat and a wave! So, no more bait bucket, no more live shrimp!

The weather finally lets up enough that I can ride back to the other side of the island and get back to the Gulf Stream Marina into my slip…and head back to the camp. I am just beat down. I get back and shoot Jason a text telling him about the idle situation and how the motor was killing out anywhere from 1800 to 2000 RPM’s. I figured there would be some easily adjustable screw or needle valve somewhere that would remedy the problem. He is busy in a sales meeting and says he will get back with me. He shoots me a text later with Prodrive’s phone number. I told him I would call them when I went back to the marina later in the afternoon. I figured they could walk me through whatever I had to do…after all, it had to be something simple, right? Right now, it’s time for a nap!

The nap was short-lived…Jason calls me up and says he has a mechanic on the phone, Calen Mire. I had no idea who Calen was. Jason just assures me that Calen can tell you what’s going wrong with the motor. So, he conferences me in on the call with Calen. I explain all about the lack of idle, the two foot flames shooting out the exhaust, having to work the throttle to keep the engine running so that I wouldn’t be embarrassed by the engine killing itself. He said it sounded like a carb problem and he has seen a few new motors recently that simply needed to have the carb replaced and there was really nothing I could do. Jason asked if he had any replacement carbs at his shop to which he replied he did and it would only take about thirty minutes to replace it if I could get there. Calen was in Franklin, LA and I was in Grand Isle…that was a long haul…but I didn’t see any other opportunity to get this thing fixed. So, we hooked up the trailer, loaded up the non-idling boat/motor and headed to Franklin! As we were crossing the bridge off the island, the water was like glass on both sides! ARRRGGHHH!!! This sucked!

But, give credit where credit is due…I probably should have taken that boat for a spin around Stephensville or Amelia before heading down the road to Grand Isle…all I needed was about thirty minutes to figure that one out!

dguidry…you should have told me to take a few shake down cruises in that rig before I took it off to Grand Isle!

:lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:50 pm
MMT Addict

Wow I thought we had a bad Friday the 13th one broken trolling motor shaft and one buddy went swimming. lol

18/58 Uncle J Custom 3/16 bottom 24" sides w/catwalks 6' front deck with another GTR Pushing it.

17/54 Gator Trax 35 Mud Buddy W/All aluminum FPR Mod SOLD

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:06 pm
MMT Addict

has anyone tried using those flexible composite cajun anchors (i believe "stop sticks" or something like that) thru the spud pole holes?? seems like they would be more forgiving in waves and all as far as the bending and due to the smaller diameter of the composite ones theyd have more wiggle room.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:59 pm
MMT Elite Member

So, about 130 miles, close to three hours later and a side stop in Patterson where I dropped off my wife at something resembling a shopping center next to Walmart, I was lost on Canal Drive. I had to drop off my wife so she could experience all the great shopping opportunities she missed out on growing up in Houma! Had she been with me, she would have been impressed that I called Calen to let him know I was lost and needed directions!

Once there, Calen went to work and pulled the carb off. Instead of just replacing it, I liked how he went to work pulling the carb apart to diagnose the problem. He very enthusiastically turned around and said, “I found your problem!”

He held up the needle valve for the carburetor float. On the end of it was a piece of "something"....it was about the size of a pinky fingernail clipping, a little pliable...maybe a piece of gasket material or a piece of fuel line material?? So, Calen explained that when I was running WOT, it was letting fuel into the bowl and burning it up. When I tried to throttle down, this piece of debris prevented the valve from closing which allowed gas flow to continue which caused the carb to flood out. This had to be something from original manufacture/assembly?? Does the inline fuel filter come with these motors? I know Jason installed the water separator filter...but that is upstream of the inline filter. No way this thing passed through either of those filters.

They put everything back together and Calen said, “I guarantee you 200% that was your problem. But, you drove a long way to get here and I would hate to see you get back to Grand Isle and it not run right. I would rather be safe than sorry. Let’s put it in the water and make sure it’s running right.” So, we did. The motor idled perfectly and ran great! Calen did an awesome job for me. I can’t say enough how much I appreciated him putting me ahead of the other work he had going so that I could get back and “try” to enjoy the rest of my weekend!

Calen et al....in case you missed it: THANKS!!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30848

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:01 pm
MMT Elite Member

We probably could have made it back to Grand Isle in time to get a little fishing in before dark. But, we had to stop at Popeye’s in Morgan City for onion rings!

Onion Ringsa.jpg

Also, our trip to Louisiana had dual purpose…hence the reason we arrived in two vehicles. Our son was at Nicholls State University...aka “Harvard on the Bayou” …as a participant in the Manning Passing Academy. Since practices were open to the public, we decided to drop in on him at Guidry Stadium (I am certain the stadium was named after some distant relationship to dguidry!) We spotted him on the stadium field amongst the other 1,199 participants. Then they moved off to the practice fields south of Guidry Stadium for 7 on 7 scrimmages. I called them practice fields…but they were really more like rice fields. Where spectators were allowed was pretty much standing water all the way around the field! I probably could have launched the boat in a few spots, there! He was surprised, yet glad to see us show up. Finally, it was back to Grand Isle. We dropped the boat in the water at the marina and called it a night. It was too late to get live bait anywhere. That would just have to wait until morning.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:07 pm
MMT Elite Member

Saturday morning was another slow start for us. Nobody on the island had live shrimp! So, we cut out for the marsh with live minnows. We were not out long when the weather started to turn…again. So, in the best interest of my wife, I brought her back to the landing and I headed back out to brave the uncertain weather. I checked the speeds I was getting in the slightly choppy water. The boat was consistently maintaining 24 mph and bumping 25 mph in a slightly rougher chop than Thursday’s run…again, with the wind. Here are a couple still shots of the bay waters:

10 - Sea Trials_2012JUL14a.jpg

11 - Sea Trials_2012JUL14a.jpg

The weather once again turned pretty bad...this time I headed back to the marina via some back bayous and kept on the leeward side of some islands to try and keep a calm ride. The video below is actually several short clips pieced together where I thought I was taking photos of things but the digital camera was actually set on video mode...give me a break if you can spot the pink camera in the GPS reflection...it's one of my wife's older digital cameras! (Remember...mine took the swan dive out the back of my truck Memorial Day weekend...along with a BUNCH of other stuff! This video only took me about a day to figure out how to clip together...and another day to figure out how to link it into the post!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:38 pm
MMT Elite Member

at 34 seconds in the video it looks like a set of titties in the reflection.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:44 pm
MMT Elite Member

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:08 pm
MMT Elite Member

The weather finally gave us a break late Saturday afternoon...and we were even able to buy up the last live shrimp in Grand Isle at Carmadelle's Bait...and there wasn't much to buy! But, with those shrimp, my wife was finally able to put some specks in the boat. She was happy!

We picked up the spud at mosquito-thirty and took a ride over to Bridgeside Marina to pick up a few minnows for the morning...my wife was going to sleep in and then head to Nicholls in the morning...I was heading for the duck ponds to chase redfish! When we pulled into the corner of the marina to park, people began lining up along the dock to eye the Uncle-J Custom build and Prodrive motor. I was worried the second floor balcony handrail was going to give way with all the people leaning over it to look down! Actually, what really seemed to catch a lot of people's attention was the hydroturf. Heck, I didn't even know what hydroturf was until I read about it here. But, a regular comment was "really well thought out build." If they only knew! :lol:

The flush mounted LED shark eyes were really cool looking on the water. That's like boat "bling" at night!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
MMT Elite Member

I was at the marina pretty early Sunday morning...but once again, so was the bad weather! And wouldn't you know, it was raining right where I wanted to go! We used up all the live shrimp Saturday evening. So, I picked up a half pound of bait shrimp from the Gulf Stream Marina and rigged up a double split tail rig and fished the island right out from the marina waiting on this stuff to pass:

12 - Sea Trials_2012JUL15a.jpg

If you know Grand Isle, you probably know it's not too hard to pick up specks around that island first thing in the morning...which I did. When the rain had passed, I was off to the marsh for the redfish. I didn't have the GPS to check speeds this morning...but by far the best riding conditions of the weekend!

Here's a pic of the back of the boat under way I snapped....not in video mode!

13 - Sea Trials_2012JUL15a.jpg

And, now that I knew the camera actually had a video mode...and I knew how it worked...I snapped another couple videos and put them together:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:21 pm
MMT Elite Member

The reds were definitely in the marsh! Unfortunatly, they were mostly BIG ones hanging out on the oyster beds. :cry: Well...I don't know what was so bad about that...they were fun to catch and release! It sucked when they broke me off on the oyster beds. I did manage to put my limit in the boat...but not after having to turn back two over 30"...because I already had this one in the boat:

14 - Sea Trials_2012JUL15a.jpg

There was one in that pond that I am not exaggerating when I say he was tailing over an oyster bed and his tail was at least 10" tall! But, he would not take anything I threw at him! I spudded down and tried a number of things:

15 - Sea Trials_2012JUL15a.jpg

Notice the remnants of my Uncle-J custom marquis spud pole! :lol: But, the big red was just not having any part of minnows, spinner baits, spoons or the such. I guess big redfish don't get big by being stupid! He finally spooked and left a HUGE wake heading across the pond!

I ended up putting my fifth keeper in the boat shortly afterwards. I still had the long trip back to "upper" Mississippi, I figured one more pic of my $20K+ tee shirt that came with a free boat and I was calling it a day!

16 - Sea Trials_2012JUL15a.jpg

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:42 pm
MMT Elite Member

And by the way.....don't waste your money on the SeaSense "Aluminum" pedestal seat bases. They don't hold up to well when you are fighting redfish. As you can see in the photo, mine is already bent. Good thing is, it matches my spud pole! :lol:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:49 pm
MMT Elite Member

Okay...why aren't the video clips working anymore?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:34 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:57 pm
MMT Elite Member

Alright...I obviously made it all the way back up here in one piece. Not so sure about the boat and motor! :lol:

Actually, the big nut on the end of the steering ram came loose...the one with the grease zert. For kicks and grins, we put the boat in the pond behind the house and "aerated" the pond! Almost got it stuck..how embarrassing! But, it came off the mud flat...the pond is rather low right now since we haven't been getting any rain.

Summer 12 203.JPG

But, I discovered two more "issues" with the Prodrive. The auto reverse isn't acting right and the power trim is bleeding down. So, I posted a thread asking about those issues. Starting to wonder if PD was the right choice in power unit!?!? ARRRGGHHH!!!!!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:42 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

You will loose hair second guessing yourself about the choice you made. It takes time to get used to this form of propulsion. Good luck with the PD and your new rig.

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Elite Member

I guess it's time to summarize this "review."

#1 - Jason, Heath, Jason's dad and the "other welder" I didn't meet were really awesome! A big thanks to all of them for really building a great looking boat. No doubt in my mind, when I have another aluminum boat built...Uncle-J Custom Boats will build it. I just know I will need to get my deposit in early! He is obviously in high demand. If you want a truly custom build, draw it up and get it to Jason. Be persistent at first to get his attention. Then, wait your turn until it's time for your build. The reason you aren't hearing anything from him during the time period inbetween is because he is giving his attention to the boat(s) in front of you. You will get his attention when your boat is being built. Look at it like this...do you want him giving everybody else his attention when your boat is being built? Or, do you want his attention on your boat?

#2 - Thanks to Cajun Camo Painting for the paint job and the hydroturf installation.

#3 - Thanks again to Calen Mire for getting me back on the water on such short notice.

#4 - The boat..well, what can I say. It is eye candy to any boat enthusiast. It is obviously built like a tank to survive the sea conditions I put it through this past weekend. I ran some really rough weather at times and the boat handled it just fine. There was no flex whatsoever in the 24" sides. It was a little sluggish on the deep water starts...but when it came time to get out of the back of a duck pond or somewhere shallow in the marsh, it jumped right out of the water. Deep water, held turns pretty good at WOT...as long as the turn wasn't too sharp. Shallow water, I navigated through some pretty narrow passes with some hairpin turns...but I wasn't running WOT. I was up on step, but throttled back because the turns were tight and the passage was narrow. I am being biased, but the layout and floor plan was just right! Plenty of room to move around, just enough dry storage room.

#5 - Hydraulic Steering! Worth the extra $$ for those trips across the bay. I have driven my brother's tiller steer and his non-hydraulic center console. I was torn between tiller steering and center console...glad I went console! Even happier I went with the hydraulics! Even somewhat "beached" in my pond in the back yard, I didn't have any trouble with the steering.

#6 - Hydroturf - I would never own another aluminum boat without having hydroturf in it! At one point, I kinda wished I had even put it on the catwalks! Really, that was only because I put my knee down on the catwalk and it was HOT! The hydroturf...COOL!

#7 - The Diamond City aluminum trailer - really undecided or neutral on it. My brother has a high $$ McClain that his PD X-Series rides on and it looks really sharp. The DC trailer is not exactly eye candy...but seems to be very functional thus far.

#8 - Prodrive - Hmmm....the jury is still out on this one! (Edit- The jury is back....unanimous decision. It was a great purchase!)

There's probably more that I am forgetting right now...but I'll keep summarizing as it comes to mind.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:15 pm
MMT Elite Member

So what part of the PD isn't up to par?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:21 pm
MMT Addict

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:35 pm
MMT Elite Member

Those things do have some flexibility! My learning curve taught me to use the spuds outside of the spud holes when I'm fishing. When duck season rolls around, I'll probably always be in calm water and will use the spud holes.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:22 am
MMT Elite Member

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:40 am
MMT Elite Member

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:23 pm
MMT Elite Member

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:29 am
MMT Elite Member

On the bright side of things...the MS Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks Warden came by yesterday, inspected the boat and gave me my Hull ID number. It was just a sticker.

Photo0234a.jpg

Okay...so I altered the Hull ID... :lol: :lol:

He suggested stenciling the Hull ID number into the transom somewhere. That shouldn't be a problem. I think I have access to some steel stencils at work. Filled out the rest of the registration paperwork and mailed it all to the state with a check for $25.20. So, hopefully, I'll be getting the registration numbers soon.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:46 am
MMT Elite Member

My god you know how to make a long winded post :roll:

(New Motor) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54733

Stumps Fear Me

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:27 am
MMT Pro Member

U aint shittin woodie. If uncle j can make this fella happy, my next boat will have to come from J!!

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:42 pm
MMT Member

Troy, how can you have time for your boat, with all this typing? Lol

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:14 am
MMT Elite Member

:lol:

My wife and I took it out yesterday for a dark-thirty trip down a very low, stump infested, strong currented Coldwater River. We thought we were going to go ride on Arkabutla Lake. I think we found Arkabutla Mud. Lake has to be at least 15' below normal. It was getting late so we finally had to turn around and head back to the landing. First time out there, so we weren't so sure about where we were really at and what was there. Lots of stumps, though! Boat and motor handled them pretty well...although, I only put it on a step a couple times on the way back when I knew we were in deep water.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:40 pm
MMT 1000 Club

really nice looking boat! didnt read a word of the two pages above, when i opened this post i felt like i had homework or something. Congrats on the boat.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:17 pm
MMT Elite Member

Just an update on the fuel economy for this rig. Finally burned all the gas out of the first tank.

11 hours, 20 minutes on 16 gallons of gas.

Economy = 1.41 gallons/hour.

That was a mixed bag of speeds but mostly running WOT.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:36 am
MMT Moderator

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:20 am
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

I know this is an older thread but awesome read thanks for all your time and effort sounds like you had a great experience with the build. I read this thread from start to finish, I know all about long winded threads I have an 11 pager over on Duck Hunting Chat about my dog lol. P.S. my wife wanted me to clean a bathroom but kept reading till she had enough and did it herself.

Thanks
Phil

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:01 pm

Blue Shamu, Im coming by next Mon or Tues. You still down there past Redfish

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:55 am
MMT Elite Member

Past Redfish??

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2