It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 WILL YALL PLEASE HELP?!?! 
MMT Member

Post WILL YALL PLEASE HELP?!?!
Im prob the worst cook in the kitchen and im trying to better myself in that area. I would like to know the preffered steps in prepping and cooking duck breast. After you clean the duck breast (leave skin on or not?) do brine and if so how long and what do you use. And as far as cooking goes do yall have any favorite recipes that you wouldnt mind sharing with me. Getting ready for teal season in a couple of weeks so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:51 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: WILL YALL PLEASE HELP?!?!
I like cooking teal whole on a charcoal grill. I'll marinate them in Italian dressing with some salt and other spices and then cook the real slow (covered) on the grill. I'll put some brown sugar or jam on them when they are close to being done so they caramelize.

For ducks in general the easiest recipe I've found is to breast them (remove skin) and soak them in salt water over night. Then I'll put them in a crockpot and cover them in regular coke (completely covered). Cook them all day until they are hard to keep on a fork because they pull apart. Pull them out and shred the meat with a couple forks (at this point drain all of the coke out of the crock pot, FYI it will kind of look like brain soup, but it ends up tasting great). Dice up an onion, throw in some garlic and some peppers and throw everything back into the crockpot and cover in your favorite BBQ sauce. After letting everything get hot again it should be really tender. Serve on buns with a slice of pepperjack cheese and a little hot sauce if you like.

Sent using my bag phone

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:13 am
MMT 1000 Club

Rare

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:41 am
MMT 1000 Club

All ducks taste like crap. So please pack them in a foam cooler packed with ice and send to me for proper disposal.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:02 pm
MMT Pro Member

Best recipe is to take off skin, slice the breast thin and salt and pepper the slices. Get some oil in a pan real hot and add some bourbon or red wine and throw a couple of slices in. Almost immediately flip them and pull them out. Keep them nice and rare.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:55 pm
MMT F.E.

This is pretty standard:

1 cup low salt soy sauce
1tbs rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup peanut oil
1 1/2 tbs honey
1 heaping tbs chopped garlic
1 tsp minced toasted onion

Whisk together the marinade. Split skinless breasts and marinade for an hour or so. Wrap each breast qtr in half a strip of thin bacon secured with a toothpick.
Sear on a very hot fire, then move to a top rack (or cut back the heat/air to coals) and let them roast until just rare to medium rare. Serve over jasmine rice with fresh minced broadleaf parsley. Goes well with all veggies.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:59 pm
MMT Member

Put the duck parts in a vacuum seal bag and add the marinade of your choice. Vacuum seal it and put it in the refrigerator over night. The marinade will be infused throughout the meat.

This works for all meats. Not so good on large thick stuff like roasts but still better than sitting in a bowl. For thick stuff like roast or turkey you are better off injecting.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:36 pm
MMT Member

Thank Yall very much for your input.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:14 am
MMT Pro Member

i like to fillet the breast off the bone slice into 1/2" strips longways run through a eggwash roll in seasoned flour and deep fry untill lightly golden brown cant tell it aint backstrap

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:35 am
MMT Pro Member

I like cookin duck a lot of ways. I'll pluck teal or woodies and brown down in a black pot and make a gravy. Any other ducks breast out and put in a throw away aluminum foil pan. Cut meat into strips and season with garlic salt, black pepper, and red pepper. Put a lot of chopped onions, green onions, and bell pepper over the meat then put a few scoops of butter over it all. Bake covered until they are tender. Make sure you got enough butter to where they dont dry out. And if you wanna make it real interesting put some creamcheese in the middle of the pan while they are cooking and dip the meat in that creamcheese.

If you get your hands on some snow geese breast them out for gumbo and cut the leg quarters out. Brown them down in a black pot and make a gravy but cook a good while so they get tender. My old man called me everything but a white man for doin this until he tried one. Now he is a believer in it

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:49 pm
MMT Moderator

I like teal appetizers personally. Heck you can can do them with dove as well. Lots of variations but one of my favorites:

Bacon wrapped teal breast with jalapeño & cream cheese.

Soak teal breast in milk over night. I usually breast the teal so I have 2 pieces from each bird.

Remove from milk, place cube of cream cheese on bacon, teal breast on top of it & a jalapeño slice on top of the duck. Use the bacon to wrap it all together & use toothpicks to hold 'em together. You can always use kabobs.

Cook on a charcoal grill. Caution bacon likes to flame up so keep a lid nearby to control the fire.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

Take your meat of the bone , What i like to do with the bigger breast meat is take your knife and cut a slit in the middle of the meat but not all the way through so that you have a pocket in the meat then I like to soak over night in sprit , then the next day I like to shread pineapple and pack it in the pocket of the meat with a few peice's of creamcheese you can do this with or with out then put a thin peice of bacon around it cook till mediem rare or till the bacon starts to brown you can put peppers , garlic , abd other things in the pocket if you like , you will love it , trust me , sometimes what I like to do is just use dales , and I make a dipping sause , this sause works good with diver but only after they've been soaked a few day in salt water , take marsolo wine and cook it down with butter the more butter you add the thicker the sause , I also like to add fresh garlic and mushrooms saultade , after this just use it as a dipping sause for your meat. Good luck.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]