It is currently Sat Oct 10, 2026 11:54 pm




Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 25GTR vs 35GTR? 
Author Message
MMT F.E.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm
Posts: 764
Post 25GTR vs 35GTR?
It seems like the guys who have the 25GTR are all happy. I plan on putting one an another 16.5*46 Instagator, similar (but not identical) to Lucecr's.

The one comment I keep seeing is that they don't have the torque of the big blocks, even though the speed with light loads seems to be better than expected from a small block.

I don't run plan on running mud. Only vegetation. Mostly hydrilla and lilly pads here in FL, along with bulrush within reason---I understand it isn't an airboat. Load will almost always with 2 guys in the boat/decoys/2 guns; we're both under 185lbs.

Does the lack of torque mostly affect mud performance? Or will it suffer in vegetation as well? I plan on putting Gatorglide on it as soon as I get it.


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:00 pm
Profile
MMT Sponsor

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm
Posts: 16608
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Are you hp restricted if not get a 35

_________________
17x48 extreme stage 2 GTR
20X60 DUAL RIG BOWFISHING ADDITION
http://www.scalesandtailsbowfishing.com


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:08 pm
Profile
MMT F.E.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm
Posts: 764
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
16.5x46 is bigger than I wanted to begin with.

I'm not HP restricted. But I'm money-restricted. This is my second boat and I'm trying to keep this as close to $10k as possible.

I'll ask this despite the hell I'm sure that will follow:

Would you sooner put a GTR25 on it, or a 35 MudBuddy? They're almost the same price.

I hear you on the 35. But what I really want to know is, is mud the biggest challenge to the torque on these small blocks? The little 18 Copperheads seem to cut vegetation pretty well. I was hoping the 25 (28) GTR would do what I needed it to do.


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:14 pm
Profile
MMT Pro Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:23 am
Posts: 482
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
If you're thinking GTR25 or 35 Mudbuddy, why not think GTR25 or GT35 (no reverse model) since the Mudbuddy won't have reverse anyway. A GT35 is about the same price as a GTR25.


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 pm
Profile
MMT Sponsor

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm
Posts: 16608
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
It will do it no problem. It will do it better than any other small hp motor out their

_________________
17x48 extreme stage 2 GTR
20X60 DUAL RIG BOWFISHING ADDITION
http://www.scalesandtailsbowfishing.com


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:19 pm
Profile
MMT F.E.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm
Posts: 764
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:24 pm
Profile
MMT Addict

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:24 pm
Posts: 743
Location: Mandeville, LA
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
It will work.

_________________
[Stage 2.5]


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:29 pm
Profile
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 pm
Posts: 5077
Location: The duck Mecca called Ga!
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Gunn, one of the main reasons that I went with the 25 Subaru is the change up from Briggs. I have had a couple of Briggs engines and I got tired of changing the case gasket and the possibility of a cracked case. Also, the Efi will be a real plus in the cold temps. I run a couple of robins on some floor cut saws that we have, and they are tough as nails. They have been put through the ringer by our Mexicans with little to no maintenance or service and they still crank and run like champs. Nothing against the Briggs engines, but I just wanted something different this go round.

_________________
HOTSAUCE170 wrote:
I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:32 pm
Profile
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 pm
Posts: 5077
Location: The duck Mecca called Ga!
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Also, if Arkie ever goes back to a strict 25 hp limit (like no 35 mm's) then I will still be good.

_________________
HOTSAUCE170 wrote:
I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:34 pm
Profile
MMT F.E.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm
Posts: 764
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
I'm somewhat familiar with the Subaru Robin engines and that's what caught my attention. We use the 5hp ones here to dive with on a Brownie's Third Lung for lobster. If you haven't seen one, it's essentially an innertube with a Briggs, Honda, or Subaru 3.5-5hp motor in it with an air compressor and a dive flag, so you don't have to use SCUBA and never run low on air.

The Subarus and Hondas are much more respected than the Briggs here for that application; the Briggs are actually only offered in the "economy" models.


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:43 pm
Profile
MMT Sponsor

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm
Posts: 16608
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
25 Gtr or 35 gt Reverse is more important than 10 hp 25gtr

_________________
17x48 extreme stage 2 GTR
20X60 DUAL RIG BOWFISHING ADDITION
http://www.scalesandtailsbowfishing.com


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:47 pm
Profile
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 pm
Posts: 5077
Location: The duck Mecca called Ga!
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Look at lucer's speeds with 4 people in his boat (granted, 1 woman and 2 kids prob equates to 3 men) and he was running 27-28 in deep water. That ain't very far off from a 35 stock.

_________________
HOTSAUCE170 wrote:
I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:48 pm
Profile
MMT 1000 Club
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 am
Posts: 1629
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
From what we've talked about the 25gtr should be fine. But you can never go wrong with more hp. :)

_________________
InstaGator 16.5' x 46" 25efi GTR. Running 30+ SOLD!!!!



dillakilla12 wrote:

I just passed out bc of the blood rush to my penis! Where the fugg can I get a transom like that!?


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm
Profile
MMT F.E.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm
Posts: 764
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:54 pm
Profile
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 pm
Posts: 5077
Location: The duck Mecca called Ga!
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Same as mine. That ain't but 30 -40 lbs difference max.

_________________
HOTSAUCE170 wrote:
I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D


Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:03 pm
Profile
MMT 1000 Club
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 am
Posts: 1629
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?

_________________
InstaGator 16.5' x 46" 25efi GTR. Running 30+ SOLD!!!!



dillakilla12 wrote:

I just passed out bc of the blood rush to my penis! Where the fugg can I get a transom like that!?


Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:04 pm
Profile
MMT F.E.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm
Posts: 764
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
The open water speeds aren't what I'm worried about. I've seen all I need to see in Lucecr's boat.

My concern is cutting the vegetation.

I came across this video from last lobster miniseason, using a Brownie. I figured you LA/TX guys might enjoy it.

Press play and then pause, so it loads fully, or it will be choppy in HD:

https://vimeo.com/46790514


Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:12 pm
Profile
MMT F.E.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm
Posts: 764
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Pintail, can you post a larger picture?


Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:15 pm
Profile
MMT F.E.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm
Posts: 764
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?


Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:16 pm
Profile
MMT F.E.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm
Posts: 764
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Well, damn.

My buddy just put a deposit down on an 1854 Excel (715lbs before pop-up blind) with a 35CDI Mudbuddy.

I wonder if that 25GTR will keep up.


Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:52 am
Profile
MMT Sponsor

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm
Posts: 16608
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?

_________________
17x48 extreme stage 2 GTR
20X60 DUAL RIG BOWFISHING ADDITION
http://www.scalesandtailsbowfishing.com


Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 am
Profile
MMT 1000 Club

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:10 pm
Posts: 3024
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?

_________________
1754 Extreme/LAProp Stage 2 GTR


Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:58 am
Profile
MMT Sponsor

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm
Posts: 16608
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
The 1mph on the water will equal in walking away from another boat. The ones I seen run in Setx will walk away from a heavy boat with a stock 35.

_________________
17x48 extreme stage 2 GTR
20X60 DUAL RIG BOWFISHING ADDITION
http://www.scalesandtailsbowfishing.com


Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:00 pm
Profile
MMT Pro Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 291
Location: Luling, LA
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
I have the 25hp gatortail and i ride with people who have 35 gatortails and 36 prodrives, and I can go thru vegetation just as easy as them. So i would not worry if it will go thru lillies and such because it will.


Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:10 pm
Profile
MMT 1000 Club
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 am
Posts: 1629
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?

_________________
InstaGator 16.5' x 46" 25efi GTR. Running 30+ SOLD!!!!



dillakilla12 wrote:

I just passed out bc of the blood rush to my penis! Where the fugg can I get a transom like that!?


Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:38 pm
Profile
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:32 am
Posts: 5210
Location: Beaumont Texas
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
dem 25's will run......

_________________
You can't see the sunrise if your eyes are closed.
dying aint much of a livin....

Black ops IITX marshstalker


1840 WC www.wccustomboats.com
fuel injected 25 GTR


Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 pm
Profile
MMT 1000 Club
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 am
Posts: 3673
Location: Prarieville,LA
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
I have a stock gtr and a gd boat that people also consider to be tanks and I left that 25 hp at setx

_________________
1754 GTR Xtreme CC w/ Purple Kool-aid Additives

Never Forget our Fallen Soliders


Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 pm
Profile
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:32 am
Posts: 5210
Location: Beaumont Texas
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
running from gsu to moon pond i kept having to back off because i was gaining on the 35hp gd that was in front of me......and luce has about 1 mph more than me.....looks like we should line em up and see, paint should be done by next weekend ( i hope!!!!) and i can then do the review on my boat and motor and run it alongside some of the 35's....ill make sure and get video. :D

_________________
You can't see the sunrise if your eyes are closed.
dying aint much of a livin....

Black ops IITX marshstalker


1840 WC www.wccustomboats.com
fuel injected 25 GTR


Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:02 pm
Profile
MMT 1000 Club

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:38 am
Posts: 3986
Location: Pville, La
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?


Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:04 pm
Profile
MMT Sponsor

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm
Posts: 16608
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?

_________________
17x48 extreme stage 2 GTR
20X60 DUAL RIG BOWFISHING ADDITION
http://www.scalesandtailsbowfishing.com


Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:04 pm
Profile
MMT 1000 Club
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 am
Posts: 3673
Location: Prarieville,LA
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?

_________________
1754 GTR Xtreme CC w/ Purple Kool-aid Additives

Never Forget our Fallen Soliders


Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:12 pm
Profile
MMT 1000 Club
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 am
Posts: 1629
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?

_________________
InstaGator 16.5' x 46" 25efi GTR. Running 30+ SOLD!!!!



dillakilla12 wrote:

I just passed out bc of the blood rush to my penis! Where the fugg can I get a transom like that!?


Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:19 pm
Profile
MMT 1000 Club
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 am
Posts: 3673
Location: Prarieville,LA
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
a half float still better than a no float

_________________
1754 GTR Xtreme CC w/ Purple Kool-aid Additives

Never Forget our Fallen Soliders


Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 pm
Profile
MMT Pro Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:47 am
Posts: 281
Location: Longview/Tyler Tx
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
I could see the 25 keeping up if it was on a small light boat. But probably not on a larger boat...

_________________
1748 WC Custom 27 mini


Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:48 pm
Profile
MMT F.E.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm
Posts: 764
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?


Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:37 pm
Profile
MMT F.E.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm
Posts: 764
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Sorry, Quacker. THat GIF file was just too perfect!


Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:39 pm
Profile
MMT 1000 Club

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:17 pm
Posts: 1018
Location: DA HAVEN FL,
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
:lol: :lol: :lol: that's great

_________________
EMF 16x42, 3/16 skiff, 35 GTR Stage 0


Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:41 pm
Profile
MMT Pro Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:47 am
Posts: 281
Location: Longview/Tyler Tx
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Hahaha I figured that was comin after I thought about it!

_________________
1748 WC Custom 27 mini


Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 pm
Profile
MMT 1000 Club
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 4205
Location: St. Amant, LA
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
I know everyone has been jumping up and down and fallin on the ground about the speeds the 25 rigs are getting and it's definitely impressive but how does their power in the nasty stuff compare to the big block? IMO that's more important than 2-3 mph...


Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:25 pm
Profile
MMT 1000 Club
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 am
Posts: 1629
Post Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?

_________________
InstaGator 16.5' x 46" 25efi GTR. Running 30+ SOLD!!!!



dillakilla12 wrote:

I just passed out bc of the blood rush to my penis! Where the fugg can I get a transom like that!?


Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:47 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: