It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 25 hp Koehler gdLT vs Honda 24hp mudbuddy hd surface drive 
MMT Pro Member

Post 25 hp Koehler gdLT vs Honda 24hp mudbuddy hd surface drive
I'm curious if I would be gaining much of anything at all going from this long tail to this surface drive!! My lt goes so slow loaded down with 2 guys dog blind n decoys on my 1648 johnboat I'm curious if I would be gaining much at all by going to the surface drive!! I kno everybody has preferences as far as manufacturers but only interested in these 2 n comparison! Thanks for any help!! Boats not a true flat bottom Jon boat it's got a slight v in the hull! T

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:05 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: 25 hp Koehler gdLT vs Honda 24hp mudbuddy hd surface dri
Your GDLT is not the fastest but it will last a very long time. You will get a good bit more speed out of any SD and it is easier to drive than a LT. My GDSD drives like an outboard. I love it. I would take an SD over a LT in my hunting and fishing environments with the exception of mud buddy. I'm not a fan of mud buddy at all. So for me I would keep the GDLT. I would base that decision off of service and long term reliability. The motor on the mud buddy is great and long lasting. The mud buddy prop is solid. The weight of that motor would fit your 1648 Jon boat with out issue. My only issue is that these motors sometimes break and it is nice to have the original manufacturer fix it correctly. My cousin did not have a really good experience with them when his broke under warranty.
These are just my opinions. Some people in this site had great experiences with Mud Buddy.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:26 am
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

Thank you for your info and I have also heard of people having problems with service on both ends but appreciate the not bashing! Just lookin for info not ranting!! The motor I'm lookin at buying is a little older and has no warranty so I will probably fix most repairs myself! My main question will I be gaining the speed I guess really. I just don't wanna buy another motor that's gonna n another poke boat!

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:43 am
MMT Elite Member

If you switch from lt to sd then you will want to go with a sd hull...... the v will rob performance and you end up with the same problems carrying a load.

Black ops IITX marshstalker

1840 WC www.wccustomboats.com
fuel injected 25 GTR

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:52 am
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:19 am
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

I did gain some but motor needs tuning RPM's fall on its face when under a load

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:22 pm
MMT Pro Member

I run with guys that run long tails. They will not drive our SD's because they know they will have to go back to their LT's. I love my SD. I am running a 1442 with a 25 hp SD and getting 24 mph with a fishing load.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:37 am
MMT 1000 Club

I've only know of two 24 Honda motors and both were PITA for their owners. If you have relatively short runs, you can't beat a LT for durability, reliability, economy.... any SD will instantly give you 5 or > mph, easier drivability, etc., but comes with greater cost up front and from my experience, a lot more maintenance cost. I run a 1648 grizzly w/ 27 HP MB LT and get 20 mph by myself; 17.5 mph two hunters and gear- not great but very efficient since 2004. If you do go LT, check out BackH2O's product line.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:15 am
MMT Pro Member

I already had a gd lt 25 hp n it I wasn't happy with it! I got a sd now n ALOT happier with it so far now! But it wouldn't of taken much to improve on it!! But I can see where the Lt's can be handier!

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]