It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 ProDrive Vs. Gator Tail 
MMT Pro Member

Post ProDrive Vs. Gator Tail
So I Got Me a boat...now to get a motor i was going 100% with prodrive 36 with reverse, power trim...But a member from this board informed me of oil leaks, an problems with the gear driven parts rather than belt...so i asked around at work i work with alot of people from Pierre Part "Parshions" an 1 guy told me my own supervisor which introduce me to Prodrive an got me pumped up about it had striped out his lower unit? or somthing like that just riding the bayou, an he herd other similar problems from a local mechanic...
so i am reconsidering the motor to go with a Gator tail 35, with trip an reverse...don't really know much about gator tail...I Run lakes, banks, Slus,pipelines,mudflats,Weeds, grass, mainly open waterways that may be low or over grown with vegetation...can i get some pointers to go off or personnel experience? My boat is a 1644 Gatortrax..i pretty much want to buy 1 motor an be worry free, but thats in a perfect world as far as that goes...planning on getting the motor in 4-5weeks...

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:56 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: ProDrive Vs. Gator Tail
All can leak oil as they use the same engine. Both are great products with great people standing behind them. Both manufactures will let you test drive one, so go hang one on your boat and see which best suits you. Good luck with your choice.

A$$, Ca$h, or Ga$ -- NO FREE RIDES!!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Elite Member

Dutch, i think gator gave you the best advice. Try each one on your boat to see which one you like best. I personally preferred the gator tail when i was shopping for a motor. But thats just me. It is my opinion that you have narrowed your choices to the two most reliable models so as gator said, go test drive em' and pick which one suits you best. Good luck.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:54 pm
MMT Addict

just get a mud buddy and be done with it

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:45 pm
MMT Addict

I have owned both and can say from experience that either motor does the job. There are things in each motor that I perfer over the other. I can be in one place and wish I had my old prodrive but can be in another and thank god I have the gatortail. As far as an all around fishing hunting and frogging boat, I would have to say that I probably perfer the gatortail because of the quick reverse but there is also times that I miss the FPR. I can promise that either one you get you will not be disappointed. As far as them breaking or oil leaks, well thats gonna happen to any of them if you abuse it and don't take care of it. I have taken good care of both and had minimal problems with the prodrive or gator tail components. They are both over built frames and drivelines. Go see them both and test drive them, try to put them in similar situations that you think you will use it for. Also let them show you what the motors are capable of doing cause if its your first time you will not get the full idea. It takes some time to learn the tricks to each motor. I have had my gatortail for 25 hours of use and just learned the trick to making the reverse work cause of the help from Swampsnyper. It was the same with the prodrive, they take time to get use to. Good Luck!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:14 pm
MMT Elite Member

If you ask around more than likely someone on here is going to go riding and you may be able to tag along or call PD/GT and try to set up a test run with the motor on your hull.Most people on here consider the motor they have the best,my motor is best suited for me and my needs.FPR is bad azz but instant is what I needed.Paul gave you some sound advice but I will tell you either way you go the people who make those motors are going to stand behind them 110%.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:26 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Go demo them, but this the best motor out there....

Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:16 am
MMT 1000 Club

they all have problems with case gaskets, i had mine start leaking the other day.
as far as pd lower unit, they weeded that bad run out, theres was a while where you could tear up a lower unit but i have one of the newer style ones and several can say i have literally grinded on stumps and I abuse my motor no problems and no complaints.

demo both all I can say

Fighting da Koolaid brigade since 07'

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:01 am
MMT Elite Member

Lots of good advice in this thread. GO demo each one. Both parties will have NP strapping a motor on ur boat and go take a spin with you. Just go test drive and see which one suits your needs. Both companies are in Loreauville, LA so travelsing all over isnt that big of an obstacle.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:58 am
MMT Pro Member

I Appreciate the advise...I am goin to set next weekend aside to test drive didn't know they did that..but man a "Mud Drive Hyper OutBoard" thats where its at! I Drove a Prodrive but not on my hull which i need to do an it was hardcore compared to my old 20 merc...

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:23 pm
MMT Pro Member

sorry to revive a dead thread, but I have a question about the test driving of the PDFPR and the GTR. If I have a custom boat built, wont the transom have different angles for whichever motor I prefer? Is it as easy as strapping on each motor and test driving them, or wont my boat need to have the right angle for the motor?

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:41 am
MMT Elite Member

you can put in a shim to compensate for the angle

(New Motor) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54733

Stumps Fear Me

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:13 pm
MMT Addict

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:50 pm
MMT Pro Member

buy dmd's scavenger and be done with it .

Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:54 pm
MMT 1000 Club

35 GTR chasing a 1650 Polarkrap.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]