It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 22horse predator motor fuel issue?? 
MMT Member

Post 22horse predator motor fuel issue??
I recently built my long tail. I an using a HF 22horse predator motor. I built dual exhaust for it, mufflers are on it also. Started it up. Sounds great, but at full throttle it sounds to me like its bogging down.. I have read that these motors need to run a low pressure 12v fuel pump. Question is, do I still need to run a primer bulb as well. And also if I'm going to run an electric pump, do I need to completely disconnect the factory pump, plug off the pressure hose from the crankcase, and just run the fuel hose from the pump directly to the carb??. Any help would greatly appreciated. I ordered a tiny tach to install and see for sure if my rpms are dropping off at full throttle.. but it won't be here for week... I'm open to any suggestions, help. Etc. Just want to have a decent reliable motor for when I take the boat to the marsh and hunt. Thanks in advance.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:08 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: 22horse predator motor fuel issue??
You can leave your primer bulb on incase your e pump were to fail.
You don't need an e pump unless that motor had a gravity feed fuel tank on it without a pump at all.
You also don't need to disconnect the factory pump, you should be able to pump through it,

Wait for your tiny tach to come in and then go from there and see what your rpm's are.
That's what I'd do.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:54 pm
MMT 1000 Club

A guy at the launch and I had a conversation about this exact topic. He said the fix is that you run a smaller/tighter fuel hose about 2 feet from the engine where it connects to your carb, then add a plastic hose taper from the smaller gauge to your wider gauge that you run to your fuel tank. He said after he did that, he had no more problems with the fuel because it created a natural suction from going to the larger gauge from the fuel tank, tapered to the smaller gauge hose.

Hope this helps bud

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:46 pm
MMT Member

Thank you guys for the help. Still waiting on tiny tach to arrive. :(.... I messed around with the motor some more, and the more I mess with it, I don't think it's fuel related.. but the governor. I watched my fuel filter and it never once went empty under full throttle, and watching the governor lever you can see it bouncing back and fourth, basically bouncing off the limiter.. I want to adjust it, but not alot, just enough to if I need that extra throttle to get through some thick stuff, it's there. Thanks again for your words.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:17 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Let me know how it comes out bro. I'm thinking about doing a predator build myself.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:47 pm
MMT 1000 Club

These guys make plenty of performance parts for those predators
https://www.performance670.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:02 am
MMT Member

Got my tach installed, went down to the river and drove the boat, it's not a fuel issue. Motor worked good. I want to squeeze a few more rpms out of it. Does anyone have any experience on adjusting the governors on these predator 670s?? I don't want to Max it out, but squeeze a few more out of it, for when I get in some thick stuff and need that extra go go.
Thanks

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:14 am
MMT 1000 Club

What are your wide open rpms in the water?
It's a 22hp
You can't expect a shit ton of performance or speed

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:34 am
MMT Member

Rpms we're running around 3grand at WOT. I do not know what the max rpms on these motors are. But I would assume I should be able to get 4k-4500 out of it without going overboard on the rpms.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:07 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:31 pm
MMT Member

Im pretty sure governor is set.. factory that is... You can watch the governor lever bounce back and forth at WOT. So I know it's hitting max rpms...

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:32 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:49 pm
MMT Member

Alright. I'll try that. Thank you!

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:02 am
MMT Member

I have a stock predator with the same issues you are having. Did you ever figure out the issue? My oil sensor is unplugged? I talked with the back water guy and he got me set up with the prop. I was able to run top end for a little while but after about 15 minutes it bogged down wouldn’t take the load and stalled out ? I’ll try the fuel line thing but I was squeezing the bulb while running it

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]