It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Motor running fine, but not pushing boat well 
MMT Member

Post Motor running fine, but not pushing boat well
New to the forum. I'm sure this topic has already been covered/discussed a million times but didn't know what to search. If someone can point me in the right direction please do. Bought my first mud motor this past Monday. 2014 23hp mud buddy mini. Never ran one before. Didn't have a boat to put it on yet because after researching I found it was easier to buy motor then match with a hull instead of vice versa. So borrowed my buddies boat, a Waco 16x48 mod V. 15" transom and unsure of transom angle. Boat has pods. Took the boat out yesterday for the first time alone. Full 6 gal tank, battery and me in the back. Fired motor up sounded good, idled, ran and screamed. Problem is when I tried to take off I had to trim the motor pretty far down to get boat to plane out, once I did it still ran like crap. Tried it in all different trim angles and still crap. Would not run period on the surface and threw water all up against the bottom of the motor. My guess is that the transom is too short and the angle is too steep. Please elaborate and be detailed as I am brand new to surface drives. Thanks!

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:23 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Motor running fine, but not pushing boat well
Everything about that hull is against a surface drive. You really need a flat bottom with no pods and if I'm not mistaken, about a 20" transom for that SD. It sounds like the bottom of the belt housing is below the bottom of the boat which would throw water up on the motor. Do you have a picture of the motor mounted on that hull?

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:13 am
MMT Member

So I put a piece of 2x6 wood blocking at the bottom of the motor mount to shim the angle a little steeper and it helped a little bit. I was actually able to get on plane without porpoising or throwing water up on the motor. Also put a 65 qt RTIC cooler up front to put a little weight in the front of the boat. Still didn't seem 100% right. I never realized how much science there was in making these surface drives run at their full potential. I know some of you are going to tell me to get a hull made for mud motors but that is not an option given the current financial status. I will have to buy a jon boat style boat until my financial situation gets better and I am able to afford a true mud hull.. Will I will post a pic when I get home. Thanks!

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:24 pm
MMT Pro Member

Do you know if you have a tall transom motor? Are you trying to maintain the prop depth at 50/50 in/out of water?

What RPM are you turning at WOT? Can you post a picture from the side of the boat showing the prop depth/angle?

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:11 am
MMT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]