It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Stock muffler mods 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Stock muffler mods
Besides just gutting and calling it a day, has anyone swapped the baffle for something that flows better with a slightly larger outlet, that still controls the sound? I like my motor as quiet as I can make it.

This is sort of what I had in mind.... http://www.jpcycles.com/product/442-828

Something with a 2" outlet, cut to fit, and welded into the stock case.

My muffler with 80+hrs on it is still in damn near perfect shape, but it gets a WD40 bath after EVERY trip.

-Custom pool noodle
-stage 4 water wings

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:00 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Stock muffler mods
Interesting idea, try it out and lets see :D

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:23 am
MMT Sponsor

This one is 1 3/4 and long. its still pretty dam quiet. Im sure i dosent flow quite as well as some others i have done with 2 1/4 tailpipes but its only about 1 step louder than stock. Yes i know rusty etc

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:31 am
MMT 1000 Club

I had considered making the outlet a little longer just to be able to use a baffle that's a little longer that runs back into the muffler case a ways and extends into the outlet. I've found several baffles that will work for what I want. Alumnized are usually 30-40, stainless is around 50. Only problem with stainless is welding it being a dissimilar metal. Most of them have a place for a set screw though. As long as the set screw is in the outlet a ways I wouldn't be scared of it ending up in a head.

That one you posted, is it just an open case with the long outlet?

-Custom pool noodle
-stage 4 water wings

Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:37 am
MMT Sponsor

Yea just gutted with a tailpipe

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:08 am
MMT 1000 Club

They work well, louvered gives the best performance and perforated has good tone. Use the bolt for testing but don't trust it cause it won't hold 'em for long. Once you find out which works best then weld it.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:22 pm
MMT Pro Member

Will they get rid of the pinging tin can sound? Ive gutted one and it sounds like a hollow tin can

Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:42 pm
MMT 1000 Club

That hollow ping/tin can sound is what I want to avoid, my gutted Honda exhaust did that. I considered one of the fiberglass wrapped baffles for just that reason, but then you'd be dealing with that eventually burning/blowing out. I think a 2" outlet with the right baffle would sound as good as pretty much any of the $500+ mufflers people are selling. And if it rusts to hell or breaks like an egg shell it can be replaced by a duplicate for a fraction. The absolute best flow characteristics aren't my main concern since I don't want to deviate with the stock (EFI) programming too far. Just mainly a deeper tone while remaining as quiet as stock or very close to it.

I'm not in a rush to get any of this done right away, just bouncing around ideas for when this stock muffler of mine eventually needs work or replacing.

-post up your stock gutted/modified setups.

-Custom pool noodle
-stage 4 water wings

Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:59 pm
MMT Pro Member

I agree i hate that ping, packing would def help, just cant think of a simple way to pack a stock gutted muffler

Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:05 pm
MMT 1000 Club

http://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-exhaust-baffles

Several here. Only way I could see it working is to slide the baffle into another piece of pipe slightly larger, and tack it in. Make the whole thing the outlet. Probably more BS than it's worth. I'd like to try the louvered vs the perforated baffles and take sound clips of each. Might give us some info if nothing else.

-Custom pool noodle
-stage 4 water wings

Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:21 pm
MMT Elite Member

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:19 am
MMT 1000 Club

When I trapped a lot I used to unscrew the end cap on my foreman's muffler and stuff it with SOS pads and put the end back on lol. You could ease thru the woods and the sticks breaking would be as loud as the exhaust of the 4 wheeler. They burnt out pretty quick though. A couple trips and I had to pull them and put fresh in. When I end up doing this I'll probably make a stubby outlet pretty much like stock, just bigger diameter and run the baffle a good ways into the case. If we're talking acoustics, the farther in the muffler case I run the baffle, the more opportunity it has to straighten and smooth out the exhaust pulses, which should reduce the volume and make the note more mellow. I know a longer outlet would help even more but I also want it stock appearing at a glance.

How is everyone welding on these mufflers? I would imagine a TIG would be best? I did my Honda Longtail muffler with a small conventional rod machine and blew holes in it like Swiss cheese :lol: I want this one to be a little more presentable haha.

-Custom pool noodle
-stage 4 water wings

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:42 am
MMT Sponsor

Tig with stainless is best but a good ol mig with a bottle welds to these just fine

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:26 am
MMT Pro Member

im thinking of running primaries into and through a can drilling holes in the primaries inside the can and putting packing inside the can around the primaries, then going to one outlet with a motorcycle type baffle as well, quiet but should flow well

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]