It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Need some advice. 

Post Need some advice.
I'm considering joining the National Guard. This will be my first enlistment. I'm married and have three small children ages 11, 9 and 9 months. My wife is on board but can those that have served give me some insight. Is now a good or bad time to join? Pros and cons.

Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:35 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Need some advice.
Personally, I feel it is a great way for someone to get the experience, be prepared, and to serve your country as a "part time". Military training of any sort builds character, regardless of what anyone wants to say - I applaud your consideration of this, our nation was originally freed, mainly by means of the militia...

I spent 12 years with the Texas 'Guard during the 80's and early 90's.

I had made the position of 19K40, Platoon Sergeant (as a rank of Staff Sergeant E-6), but due to world wide travel with my "real job", plus the budget cuts and "politics" - most noticed in the upper ranks, that were incorporated after Clinton came into office - I finally gave it up...

I had some awesome experiences while in the 'Guard - from desert warfare training in the Mojave to even even being "un-formally" attached for 9 months to the British version of our 'Guard during one of my "real job" travels...

From what I understand now-a-days, it is quite a bit different than when I was in - "political correctness", combat women, the gays, and all... :cry:

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]