It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 PD 36 Lower Unit Oil ???? 
MMT 1000 Club

Post PD 36 Lower Unit Oil ????
I went to change my lower unit oil and removed both top and bottom plugs. Nothing came out! Thinking it was dry, I started to add oil to the bottom plug. A black sludge starting coming out the top. I continued to fill until all the sludge came out and the oil started flowing freely out the top plug. There was quite a bit in there.

As I type this I realize it was only about 45 degrees in the shop. Could that be the culprit, or is something else going on? Another thing I thought was maybe too much grease was added to the grease ports??? The motor only has 56 hours on it. Thoughts????

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:17 am
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

Location: Unaffiliated, SETX group has caused me to renounce my Texas Citizenship
Post Re: PD 36 Lower Unit Oil ????
Yep

You are trying to change 90w oil that is probably the consistency of cane syrup.

Sit you space heater there by the lower unit for a few hours then try and change it.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:36 am
Post Re: PD 36 Lower Unit Oil ????
I'd like to ask another question about gear oil but the all-knowing River would chime in with his "expert" opinion.

Ahhh what the hell, anyone know anything about Alisyn Pro Gear Lube? I heard it's good stuff. Stuff is zero weight but supposed to be good stuff.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]