It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 Prodrive hydraulic reverse issue...Maybe 
MMT Member

Post Prodrive hydraulic reverse issue...Maybe
2012 36hp Prodrive with 3hrs.
So, I don't have much experience with this thing so maybe this is normal. I ran about a half mile up a little ditch when it ran out of water. While trying to get the boat spun around, the hydraulic reverse quit working. This was after rotating the foot back and forth several times while it was stuck in fairly hard mud. After a minute or so, it started working again. When I got it home, I tried to duplicate the situation. If I rotate back and forth while putting pressure on the lower unit with my foot, it will quit working after several times. I hooked my voltmeter up to the leads at the switch and, after finding the constant 12v, found that the voltage cuts out before the switch. I assume this is the thermal cutout, but should it cutout this easy. The cutout gets warm, but certainly not hot. I am in Indiana and the nearest dealer is a long ways away.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:04 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Prodrive hydraulic reverse issue...Maybe

Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:45 pm
MMT Elite Member

Cylinder? It is hydraulic not electric. The pump is most likely the culprit.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:00 pm
MMT Elite Member

Bring it to the dealer for warranty work...

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:05 pm
MMT Elite Member

Call peck, he'll send you whatever you need to get it right.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:08 pm
MMT Member

Ok, so it sounds like its not normal. I would take to a dealer, but the closest is probably 500 miles away. I don't think it's the cylinder or motor because I lose voltage on the 12v wire going to the switch. I will call kp and see what he says.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:18 pm
MMT Pro Member

There is a thermal switch in the motor. If you cycle any of the cylinders a lot this will happen. I've got duals on my rig so I have 4 pumps and it will happen to all of them if you keep cycling them. This is probably my biggest problem with Prodrive. You can talk to KP and Peck and they will tell you to make sure your parts are lubricated and clean. Check the alignment of the cylinder rod with the reverse gear. This is about all you can do and it makes little to no difference. This typically occurs in the reverse pump more offten because they use the same motor with a different gear ratio to move the fluid faster thus turning the lower unit faster. If you want greater reliablity get the same pump that is on the trim units and use this for the reverse. It will slow down the action of the reverse by about 1/2 but it will work much better and will be able to generate a greater psi giving you more power to turn the lower unit in really thick stuff. If you have a console rig you probably have even more problems because Prodrive uses 10 gauge wire running to those massive winch switches. All of that wire and switches generates more resistance for the electricity. If you want to see what I mean, after the thermal switch on the pumps kicks out grab ahold of the wires where they go in to the pump and I would bet you will find them hotter than hell. Someone with some fluid power engineering needs to redesign the whole system.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:23 pm
MMT 1000 Club

It might help to trim the motor up prior to rotating the LU in the thick stuff also. :P

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:55 pm
MMT Pro Member

I agree, lift it up.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:25 pm
MMT Member

I did figure out it helps to raise it up before spinning the lu after the fact. So maybe this is normal. The reverse pump was not even warm when it shut down. The thermal switch and wires going to the switch were a little warm. Maybe a rewire with heavier wire and a better thermal cutout may fix it.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:35 pm
MMT Pro Member

I would agree with adding better wiring. I installed solenoids right next to the pumps. I still used 10 ga. wire but rather than the wire running from the battery all the way up to the switch and back now I just have 2' of 10 ga. I took the motor apart and ran the 10 ga. leads right into the pump itself to reduce the number of connections in the system. You can ditch the big rocker switches and go to a easy to use switch of any other type and even install a switch right on the motor if you have a need to trim it when you are at the launch or something. I wouldn't reccomend changing the thermal switch. It is pretty integrated in the unit and my theory is whoever designed the pump knows way more about the engineering in it than a couple of back yard mechanics. I think the real problem comes down to poor design on Prodrive's part.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:50 pm
MMT Elite Member

Had to go back and find this one...the pictures didn't make the server switch, though. This may help you:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=30928

EDIT: Found the picture of the original washer stack and re-loaded it.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:30 pm
MMT 1000 Club

it is the cyl. mine did this and peck said that the manuf. change the cyl it is binding up in the cyl. but call peck , mine is a 2010.
mac

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Maxxis...

They do have a cylinder,,,as does an outboard, as does a gator tail...you have to have a cylinder to put out the hydraulic force pal..

Its simple,,,electric over hydraulic!! If the electric motor is running as his is,,,then they seals are leaking in the cylinder...

It happened to mines and many others...the cylidner swap worked great and took 10 mins.. and if your dealer is cool, you bring leaking cylinder and they hand you new one and no need to wait for them to fix it...

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:14 am
MMT 1000 Club

Actually it's called a hydraulic ram not Hydraulic cylinder.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:20 am
MMT Elite Member

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:28 am
MMT Member

I really don't think it's a hydraulic ram or motor problem because I lose voltage at the switch when it stops working. I did some additional testing last night and when it quits working the inline self resetting breaker opens. This means that for some reason the current draw is to high. It could be the ram binding or a problem with the pump, or the lower unit in a bind causing it to draw to much current. But my guess is, given how warm the wires, switch, and breaker gets, the current draw is increasing because of a increase in resistance in the wiring which causes the breaker to open. I think the real test would be to put a clamp on amp meter on the 12v wire and measure the max current when the lower unit is spinning under load when the wiring is cool and then again after it spins a few times and the wiring is warm. I bet the current draw is just to high after the wiring heats up and pop goes the breaker.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:04 am
MMT 1000 Club

roger i see,,

i thought it was like mines where it "quit working" basically kept pumping but no rotation of the foot...Motor engaged though...

anyway,,,carry on..

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:05 am
MMT Elite Member

Dualpds So you installed solenoids to take the LOAD off the switch? and you are still having issues? If i read correctly, you re wired the pumps with Heavy wire from the Soilenoid to the pump, and smaller wires from the switch to the solenoid. (perfectly acceptable since the solenoid carries the load.)
So you have Constant 12v to the solenoid, and also have 12V to the switch? Basically all the switch is supposed to do is apply 12V to the solenoid to complete the circuit.
This is how I think it should be wired.

EDIT... I see my explanation was a bit off.

If you are losing 12V from the swithc to the pump then the switch is BAD. Those switches se ALOT of load when applying juice to the pump. Easy way to help it is wire it like above from dualpds / my explanation. You can also use relays Vs solenoids. It should be an easy fix.... Just verify you have 12V to the switch all the time even with it is NOT workin. If you have 12V there and its not leaving then it is your problem.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:25 am
MMT Pro Member

Be careful on relay vs. solenoid. Most relays only handle to maybe 30 amps. some as much as 50 amps. There are two possible types of motors used in these pumps one is a wire wound type and the other is a permanant field type. Permanant field motors can use a relay as they draw much fewer amps. The wire wound type, what I have and the other Prodrive owners I know have, require a solenoid. I have spoke with the actual manufacturer of Prodrives pumps and they tell me that the motors can draw on the upper end of 90 amps. Thus the reason to use solenoids. This is also the reason Prodrive uses such a massive rocker switch.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:37 pm
MMT 1000 Club

the old cyl would bind up when you cycled it a few times , call peck he will fix you up

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:52 pm
MMT Member

I have purchased a 2011 prodrive and have the issue being covered in this thread. I believe the issue is amps being drawn by motor on hydraulic pump for rotating the foot. i see someone had used solenoids to handle the current draw. Was wondering if someone had specifics on the solenoids used and maybe some pics of how they wired them. My pumps have a yellow and blue wire connected to them. The switch has the blue and yellow wire that connect to pump, a red wire that gets extremely hot when moving the foot, and the black ground. Thanks

Mon May 17, 2021 7:29 pm
MMT Member

I have a 2012 Prodrive 36hp and am having the issue where the lower unit will rotate to the back fine but rotates very slowly, sometimes stopping, to the reverse position. I'm posting so I'll be subscribed for any further comments in this thread.

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:04 pm
MMT Pro Member

I have a Gen3 that started doing the same thing last week. When I removed the positive post on my solenoid, I found it was hot to touch and had slight play at post. Swapped this out with a new trombetta solenoid off Amazon($64) and was back in business. Check and clean all connections and check wires running along handle from switches to solenoid for damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:35 pm
MMT Member

I figured mine out this afternoon. It turned out that the linkage was binding. I'm not sure why it only happened when going into reverse; but taking everything apart, cleaning, and putting it back together worked.

Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:57 pm
MMT Pro Member

Glad you fixed it! I had a similar issue when I replaced the clutch last year… I was off a little when I stacked washers on linkage. Now I take several pictures before removing anything. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]