It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Kohler 26.5 EFI ECU reset and TPS learn? 
MMT Pro Member

Post Kohler 26.5 EFI ECU reset and TPS learn?
Kohler 26.5 EFI on backwater longtail. Threw some codes and I'd like to clear the stored codes.. Blink code read "System Voltage too high". Had a battery charger plugged in while running the engine and I think this caused the problem because the codes have not actively returned. To clear the stored codes (without software) it appears I have to do a ECU reset and a TPS learn procedure which is documented in the repair manual. No problem until I would get to the TPS learn part. The engine normally idles to 900 or so RPM and I'm happy with that. The TPS learn instructions say to set it at 1500 RPM during the learn. It seems the procedure is setting the TPS% at 0% at 1500. If I then turn down the idle to 900 it seems I'd be setting the TPS % at a negative value. I think I need to set my 0% setting at 900 or so and not perform the procedure at 1500 as directed. It seems 1500 is the usual idle setting for mowers and stuff but a bit too high for a mud motors. Should I just follow the instructions at written at 1500 RPM or follow them with my lower threshold of 900 RPM? Here are the instructions from the repair manual:

TPS Learn Procedure
1. Turn idle screw clockwise one full turn prior to
key ON after ECU Reset.
2. Start engine, run at low idle until engine is warm.
3. Idle speed must be above 1500 RPM. If below
1500 RPM, turn idle screw up to 1700 RPM and
then shut down engine and perform ECU Reset
again.
4. Adjust idle speed down to 1500 RPM. Allow
engine to dwell at 1500 RPM for about 3 seconds.
5. After this, adjust the idle speed to the final
specified speed setting.
6. Turn the key OFF and count to 10 seconds.
Learn is complete and the engine is ready for
operation.

Not a mechanic, so any help is appreciated. Engine has been flawless, knock on wood.

Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:23 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Kohler 26.5 EFI ECU reset and TPS learn?
I would follow the instructions. Shouldn't hurt a thing to adjust down after it's learned, but it wants that rpm for a reason. If it doesn't work like you want, try again at the lower rpm. When you set your rpm to 900, it was based off the factory tps learn settings, was it not? Didn't hurt a thing so far.

#CFFITR
#mudmotor>physics

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]