It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 No Fire 
MMT Addict

Post No Fire
Got to the launch this am to find the motor running funky, sounded like it was running on one cylinder so I changed out the plugs which were both black. After changing the plugs it still ran just as bad and would idle but not rev up well. I decided to pull one plug wire then the next to see if maybe one side wasn't firing, seemed as though both were firing so I pulled both valve covers off and everything looked in tact under there. I put the covers back on and suddenly it ran ok. Well rolled out and got about 300 yards and it went back to crap when I would try to rev it up. Decided at that point that maybe something was in the carb so we pulled the bowl off the carb and it appears clean, still not sure if it was the carb I put it back together cause the bayou is no place to break down a carb. Once back on I tried her out again and it fired up, we went another 300 yards and it went down hill again. At that point it seemed to run really crappy, backfiring or just not running at all so I got towed back to the launch. When I got home I tried cranking it up and nothing, just turns over and would backfire every once in a while. Pulled the plugs again and they are both wet. Checked for fire and nothing. I traced all the wires down and everything seemed in tack and free of shorts.

Any of you motor heads got any ideas? Would a bad rev limiter do this? Before I noticed it was not firing we were thinking a stuck valve because we were originally atleast getting some fire and definatly enough to run on one cylinder, but I am really thrown for a loop now. Hopefully Hoyte is having a slow week and can look at it for me.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:18 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Re: No Fire
When my rev limitor went out it just went out and wouldn't fire ever again.
Cut the wires to the rev limitor and see if it cranks up. Just don't over rev it.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:53 pm
MMT Addict

Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:11 pm
MMT Sponsor

Thats all that was wrong wit dat thing? I wanted a ride in that boat!!!! 8-)

Owner
DEEP SOUTH CUSTOM BOATS (225) 252-2700

Good boats ain't cheap, Cheap boats ain't good!

Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:19 pm
MMT Addict

We will make another trip soon, I was looking forward to running around and goofing off. Atleast it wasn't anything major. I wasn't gonna sleep tonight if I hadn't figured out the problem.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:25 pm
MMT F.E.

Learn from my mistakes. I was leaving Ricks camp from the La Run Sunday morning and mine went out at sunrise crossing the lake. Paddled almost all the way back to the camp with tournament yahoos passing buy. Finally one got close enough to hear me yell and stopped. Asked if he could tow me back to the camp, just 200 yards. Numb nuts said we are in a tournament. I said well funking go then! But he towed me to the camp and asked where a bayou was. Numb nuts was lost, so I wasn't messing up his chances of winning the tournament. :lol:
Any way rick towed me back to the landing and I got it to lil daddy the next day and he cut the wires and it started right up. Sure would have saved me a lot of trouble on the water if i knew that.
By the way, no warrenty on the rev limitor. Had to get a new one. Drake1 said to mount it to the transom instead of the motor. Less vibration.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]