It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 11:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 space between brass nut and bearings 

Post space between brass nut and bearings
Space between prop nut and bearings
Mud buddy/Mud Gator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got a question about the prop setting on this mud motor.
OK I bought a mud motor that had no prop on the broken shaft. I have changed the shaft and bought a new prop. This unit has a set of bearings at each end in stainless housings that are screwed into the grease tube. On the prop end of the shaft, the threads run all the way up to the bearing housing. I was told by Mudbuddy and Toups props to run the brass /lock nut ALL the way up the shaft to the end of the threads then run the prop up and finish by tightening all with the marine nut.
The issue I have is, the threads on the shaft go into the bearing housing. They just make it to the housing by maybe 1/16" but if I run the brass nut all the way up it will bottom out on the bearing housing and rub and tear up something. I was told that the shaft and threads are made in this configuration so that when you hit a log or whatever the prop will only tighten up rather than loosen. MAKEs sense but I think the threads maybe should have stopped before the bearing housing.... SO is my shaft 1/2" to short ? or is this the way all go devil props threads are set up?( so close to the bearing housing?)

Back

Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:29 am

Post Re: space between brass nut and bearings
ANYBODY??? :?:

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:19 am
MMT Member

I had the same problem with mine. I took the square nut that goes on the shaft first and ground it down to where it had enough room to clear and be tight!!! If you don't do that when you hit something it will tighten against the bearing housing ( NOT GOOD)

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:12 am
MMT Member

i just had a new shaft put on mine by a shop and i put the prop on. i had the same problem i stopped the forward nut like a 1/8" before the housing. i started it up and the nut loosened and locked up the motor. i was livid after just spending 465 bucks on this thing. Thank god nothing was messed up (hopefully). I tightened up the housing enough to reveal the end of the threads where there was about a 3/32 space between the housing and the forward nut. Is it possible that your shaft is too far in if you need a half inch?

Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:48 am
MMT Pro Member

The lock nut should be screwed tight all the way up the threads. It should be about 1/4 " from the bearing housing. Can you slide the shaft back out of the yoke a little to give you the 1/4" clearance.

The GD shaft for the new seal system is 1/2 " longer than the shaft used for the old seal system. It sounds like you have the new seal system, do you have the right shaft?

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:59 am
MMT 1000 Club

I agree with lparrish. Slide the shaft down in the yoke to give you the ability to tighten that nut and give you enough clearance. I got a question for you too. Does that thing really have a bearing on the lower shaft?

Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]