It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Tested my 1542 with Beavertail Pods Today 
MMT Member

Post Tested my 1542 with Beavertail Pods Today
Man, I don't mean to hyjack the whole Longtail threads, but I figure this info. that I deliver might help someone out someday. Alright, as soon as I got the call that my pods were finished being welded on, I raced to the shop to go check them out hoping the job turned out ok. Well the job turned out fantastic. Better than what I anticipated it would be. The welds looked very good, the position of the pods couldn't have been any straighter, and the time to get em done only took 3hrs. So I paid and took off to go test em out. Well I gotta say so far that I'm pretty satisfied. As soon as I put the boat in the water I could tell that it was drafting less, espeacially with me in it. I then turned motor on, started giving her gas, and the boat just started planing out very easily. I could still stay on plane at very low speeds without a problem. What I liked best while moving was that the front of the boat never popped up like it normally does while going against the wind and made the ride feel a lot smoother in the waves. The boat moved flat and straight kind of like cutting through the wind. Another thing I liked about the pods was that the boat felt more stable even when moving. I want to say that I gained about 1mph by adding the pods, hitting a 14mph going with the wind (but I'm not sure because my prop was chipped and I had a change of pitch added to it last week. Won't know for sure till I get the correct pitch back on. I'm estimating I'll hit 15mph with the original pitch I had, which would be even better). I havn't been able to test the boat out in my skinny spot yet (the most important of all) that avg. about 6-7in at times (mud/sand). That 1in of water makes a diff. between staying on plane or pushing. I hope these pods will help me get a bit skinnier. I'm pretty confident that they will at least get me an inch skinnier from what I've experianced already. I'll let you all know how that test goes once I get a chance to hit my spot.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:55 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Tested my 1542 with Beavertail Pods Today
i like my pods what size of motor you running

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:40 pm
MMT Member

im lookin into beavertail pods as well. would you mind snapping some pictures?

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:36 am
MMT Member

I'm running a 13hp Beavertail. I think I'm ready to upgrade. I'm waiting on that income tax check since I've spent on other stuff including these pods. Here's some pics...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:23 am
MMT Member

Here's a couple more pics. I think I'm gonna start fishing out of it till I save enough for a new fishing boat...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:42 am
MMT Sponsor

Glad it was money well spent!!! :D

Owner
DEEP SOUTH CUSTOM BOATS (225) 252-2700

Good boats ain't cheap, Cheap boats ain't good!

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:29 am
MMT Pro Member

I wonder if these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aluminum ... 2004r15370 pods would have the same effect as the beavertails would... :?:

Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:43 am
MMT Sponsor

Owner
DEEP SOUTH CUSTOM BOATS (225) 252-2700

Good boats ain't cheap, Cheap boats ain't good!

Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:15 am
MMT 1000 Club

Looks like they welded them on level with the bottom. Usually BT mounts them tilted up slightly from transom to the end of pod around 1 1/4" overall.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:28 pm
MMT 1000 Club

RickMans ~ I like yore style and yore inovations !!!!! :D

Only thang I see you doin' now is ....... Paint !!!!!!!

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:08 pm
MMT Pro Member

Is your boat a ModV or a Flat bottom?

Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:36 am
MMT Member

Thanks Brooks.

The boat is a flats. It's kind of hard to tell from the picture but the pods are actually tilted up like the directions said. In that one picture above, if you take your pencil and place it on the bottom of the boat in the picture extending it to the rear of the pods you'll see that the pod is tilted above the pencil line. I think they tip them up so that when running real shallow the pod won't rub on the bottom and also because it will create drag against water like the way trim tabs do (thus reducing speed/performance).

I went out again yesterday after work to check on my fishing hole. The speed didn't help as I was racing to get there before the sun went down. Well I didn't make it but managed to test the boat out in one area that wasn't as far.

Test results: 13hp beavertail LT (mud/sand mix conditions, the type where you get in and slowly sink beneath the mud a couple of inches) By myself with a lite load, I ran through exactly (measured to make sure) 6 in with the prop taking a beating. I stopped in that 6in to see if I'd get back up on plane and I did. I then got into 5in and could not stay on plane anymore. Although I could idle around in that 5in (could not take off in it either). The boat drafts 2in at the bottom of the transom with no one in it.

Side note: A couple of days before I put the pods on I ran through this test area and couldn't get through (I didn't get a chance to measure though). Yesterday with the pods I went through it burning the prop, but it got me through (Maybe tide had a factor too, don't know).

I want to say the boat can now stay on plane with an inch to 2in less of water compared to without the pods. I know before I added the pods I could stay on plane in 7-8in but not less.

Overall I'm satisfied, and I'll be safe moving up to a bigger motor for sure. Maybe a stronger HP motor will get me through 5in.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:40 am
MMT Pro Member

i've been thinking of adding pods to mine, i have 14/36 alumacraft, riveted with a 20 gdlt. been testing the capabilities of my rig, with 20 horse i can run across 3 to 4 inches of soft bottom with no water and no reduced speed, hard mud and sand mixed with no water i slow down alot, as long as the distance isn't to far 20 or 30 yards and i hit it wide open i can make it. oyester shell is a whole other ball game, acts like velcro. if your still looking for a bigger motor for your rig i think it would be worth it. i found mine on lousiana sports man .com. for 1300.just my 2 cents worth

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:27 pm
MMT Member

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:20 am
MMT Pro Member

rickman, running empty i am getting around 19 to 20 mph on gps. with blind on the boat, all hunting gear, 2 guys and a dog around 15 mph on gps, this is with a wore down prop in deep water, about a 5/8 inch of wear total. over a soft bottom with the prop on top, i get a little faster, just tough on the upper body holding the handle up to keep the prop at the right depth. i was running a 6.5 beaver tail befor i got this 20 go-devil. was very pleased with the results.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:29 pm
MMT Pro Member

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:33 pm
MMT Member

Man, I love my pods that I built...so much better... I only wish I had done it a long time ago

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=792

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]