It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 11:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Opinion on lab breeder. 
MMT Member

Post Opinion on lab breeder.
I am planning on getting a new pup in about 6 months. I have been looking at aces retrievers. The dog is going to be for duck hunting but will be a family dog the rest of the year. Has anyone delt with this kennel or know anyone that has a dog from them? Thanks.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:40 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Opinion on lab breeder.
Never heard of them. Breeders have litters, when they are not trialing or hunting the dogs. Where is Aces Retrievers?

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:01 pm
MMT Member

Kiln Mississippi. They are a pretty big kennel. Sell alot of started dogs. I train my own so I am just getting a pup.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:19 pm
MMT Elite Member

My question would be how many hrch, master hunters, and/or field champions have these breedings produced? I know it doesn't make a hill of beans to a guy who wants a jam up hunting dog, but that is a true indicator of how well a breeding program is. Also hips, elbows, eyes, cnm, and eic clearances are a real must.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:36 am
MMT Member

I don't know about titles. But they do give 30months on their dogs health. That is about 6 months longer then most.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:53 am
MMT Pro Member

I went through Dokken's here in MN. They happily shared contacts for others that had purchased dogs from them. List ranged from finished/trained dogs to people that purchased for family pets. The folks I spoke with were pretty honest. Obviously temperament varies in all litters, but health was what I was interested in. When you invest that kind of money in a companion you want to be certain they will stay healthy. I found the contact list very helpful and it put me at ease. See if you breeder of choice will do the same.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:50 pm
MMT Member

That's good idea. I will do that. Thanks.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:33 pm
MMT Pro Member

We do you live Dan?

Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:41 am
MMT Member

I live in Florida. In Okeechobee just north of the lake.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:26 pm
MMT Moderator

There are some good English Lab breeders in Mississippi.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Member

WestEndAngler. That is what i have herd. Do you know anything about Ace's Retrievers? Or can you suggest another breeder that has quality English hunting dogs. I'm not interested in any show dogs.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:23 pm

I know wildrose kennels is in Mississippi. I have been lookin for over a year. I decided on more of an American lab. I wanted a bigger dog for rivers and big water. Will get him in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:57 pm
MMT Pro Member

Ace dogs are top notch! And come from a awesome blood line.
I have a dog from him and is always with me hunting, it is a great family dog but when it's time to work he is strictly business.
Titles don't mean anything to me when it comes to a duck dog. I personally could care less because I have no interest in field trials. I want a dog that has a good attitude around the house, and to go get my ducks. He does this well!

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:16 pm
MMT Member

That's good to hear. I am not looking for a rocket ship. A good family dog is very important. Glad your happy with your dog.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:39 pm
MMT Moderator

I have used Classic Labs they are in Chapel Hill, TX.

I am looking for alternative breeders as well. Sadie my oldest is a great retriever my White/Yellow lab is as dumb as they come.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:32 am
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

You have a very active retriever club in your backyard, which I would utilize for info.

http://www.treasurecoastretrieverclub.c ... ntact%20Us

Scott and Fred (President and VP) are very involved in training, hunting and competing labs. I would touch base with them to see if there are any good litters in your area.
The club trains on property in Okeechobee.

Buck

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:41 am
MMT Member

Yeah I have been trying to get with them. I would like to mess around with the hunt tests with my current dog. I know there is a pretty good local breeder. Bill Thacker. But he has those high energy Americans. Good buddy has one. She hunts like nobodys business but too high strung for me.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:48 am
MMT Pro Member

Ah, but most of those "high energy" American breds have an off switch. My all-age field trial dogs are excellent house dogs and pets, but turn it on for hunting and competition. Don't believe all of the hype. You need to be around some well trained "American bred" labs!
"High strung" usually equates to low training standards.

Buck

Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:15 pm
MMT Member

I wouldn't disagree with you that alot of the problem is lack of training. But that just isn't the type of dog I am looking for. I am still somewhat of a beginner trainer. I have only done one dog. So I would rather give myself the least amount of challenges. Just start with a nice mellow dog.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:51 pm
MMT Pro Member

You still have an excellent local resource that I would utilize before buying a dog. People with a lot of experience with retrievers. They can help make sure that you don't make a mistake.

Buck

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:17 pm
MMT Sponsor

Have you checked out Bill Thacker in Okeechobee? http://www.thackervilleretrievers.com/

The first Pic on the page is my brothers Dog Duke and the blond is Dotty. I have the son Hunter who is a great dog. Duke can't hear a thing anymore but will still find birds 3 feet under water. Probable will be his last year.

gatorheads@comcast.net

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Member

aces retriever's has a great dog !!!!!

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:21 pm
MMT 1000 Club

My dog actually came from a Lankas labs (pointing lab breed) and his dad was a dokken dog. He's an american breed by most standards but he's mellow in the house and great with kids, but when we go duck hunting the dude flat out goes ape shit on retrieves. It's like he has 2 personalities 1 for the house and one for the marsh

Sent from...wait, Where am I?

Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:17 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Brings me to another point, does anyone actually know the differences between English and American labs besides body styles? Because I've had several people ask if my dog was English because he's so big and has a big head.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:29 pm
MMT Pro Member

The English field labs look very similar to our field bred labs. I have some friends that went over with a US team a few years ago to compete in some simulated trials. If you look at the pictures you really cant tell the British labs from the American labs. The American dogs were all hunt test or field trial dogs.
The British labs that are sold in the US tend to run smaller than the US bred field labs. I have several friends that have had them. Like the US bred dogs, some are good and some are not good at all. Some are calm and some aren't very calm.
England, like the US, has developed two line of labs. The block head, big body show labs that are bred for looks only and the more athletic looking field labs that have been bred for intelligence, trainabilty, nose, etc.
If you look at the old pictures of labs, especially the dual champions (meaning show and field) they look very similar to most of our current field bred labs and nothing like the current show labs.

Buck

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:38 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I'm sure there's eceptions to these guidelines. Here's my hound he's got a gnarly block head and weighs 90 lbs but he's a stud hunter. This is a 10 month old picture of him before we knew not to break on decoying birds.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:00 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Opinion on lab breeder.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]