It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 2:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Black bears and my best friend 
MMT Elite Member

Post Black bears and my best friend
This past Saturday morning, my mom spent the night with us and we are all sitting in the living room around 9am drinking some coffee. About 10 minutes before now, I had let our dog (BB) outside to do his morning usual. I look up and there's a momma bear and two cubs in the back yard about 35 yards from the back door. The back door is open and I get up and go to the door. Look mom, look at the bears... BB is standing beside me just looking, he has never chased anything but he's never seen a bear neither. All of a sudden, he bolts while barking like hell. I tuck right behind him yelling, BB come, BB no, everything I could say to get him to stop. (He's a great dog, 7 years old and obeys religiously) Just something about this time, he was determined to chase.

I'm barefooted, in shorts and a t-shirt running down the hill chasing BB who is chasing the freaking bears. BB finally decides to turn back but he is about 10 yards behind momma bear, she sees him retreat and turns back and runs him down. (He went into passive mode when she got close and basically stopped, I feel if he would have stayed in gear, he could have gotten away) I'm running as fast a s I can to them yelling, she swats him and then gets on top of him and starts biting. (BB is like my son) I get about 12 yards from them and she spits him out, charges me and is at my feet in 2 seconds.

I stood my ground with my hands above my head, pocket knife in hand, yelling and waving my arms. She stopped within 3 feet of me. I keep my ground and keep yelling, being as tall, loud and intimidating as I can be. This is when I glance and see that BB has made it back to the back porch. The bear backs up slowly, huffing, turns slightly to her left, swats the ground with her right paw and suddenly charges me again. This time I had to step to my left and back, basically pivoted on my left foot and turned back. She stopped again, right where my right foot was, looks me in the eyes and I'm still standing tall and yelling. She starts to turn slowly and then bolts like you shot her in the ass.

I go back to the house to find my little BB bleeding, limping and cut on his right shoulder. We take him to the vet, I'm thinking broken bones in his shoulder and something wrong with is neck since she had his neck and shoulder in her mouth. Doc put him under and about a dozen punctures were cleaned, took and xray, no broken bones, stitched up a 6" cut down his shoulder and leg. Now, he is still under and doc said it would be about an hour. We go to get breakfast (I'm about to crash from 2 cups of coffee, no food and massive adrenaline rush)

We come back about 20 minutes later and the entire vets office is saying they are glad we're back. BB woke up and it was awful, he was howling/yelling like he was getting attacked again. They gave him another shot because they couldn't get him to calm down. Now, I'm there and not leaving, waiting on him to come to again. 35 minutes later, like you turned on a switch, he's laying on his side and twists to where the top of his head is on the floor. He's howling/yelling/crying like nothing I've ever seen. I got down with my head on the floor upside down so he could see me, eye to eye and starts saying, it's me buddy, it's me, calm down, I'm here... He started getting more quiet with each breathe and finally got calmed down, then he rolls up, I sit up and in a half of a second he crawls into my lap. He was whimpering and I could tell he was in pain. For the first time in many years, I had tears rolling down my face, my little buddy was hurt and I didn't know how bad nor could I do anything for him.

Per the doctors instruction, we take him to the emergency clinic where they could monitor him over night and inject pain meds, we didn't see him taking any orally. My wife drove while I held him, I couldn't move, every time I did he would whimper. When we got to the emergency clinic, he was shaking so bad I thought he was going into shock, turns out, his temperature was really low. We placed him on a heating pad, gave him some more meds and let him stay the night. I didn't sleep at all Saturday night worried about him and thinking about the bear (which I know was just protecting her own)

We go to pick him up Sunday morning around 8am. After about 25 minutes of waiting and signing papers and settling on the vet bill, the nurse brings out BB. He sees me and his stubby tail starts wagging so fast that it's a blurr. She can't hold him, she lets him down and he runs to me and I almost lost it. I couldn't believe and was so relieved our little guy had high spirits. We take him home and I didn't leave his side until I came to work this morning. Monday morning he was really stiff and slowly walked around, by 2pm yesterday afternoon, he had gotten a few of his toys out and had them scattered around the house. He's not up to "BB speed" just yet but he's had a remarkable turn around from Saturday afternoon.

Yesterday afternoon, he's sitting in my lap and looks out the windows to the back yard and growls. I look, and there's nothing there. I think he was just saying, that bitch... I had to think he's pissed off and I got a laugh out of it. So glad my pup is ok. As for the bears, there's a trap back there now and hopefully they'll be caught and relocated. There's also a loaded 44 magnum lever action in case they're not...

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:05 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Black bears and my best friend

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:06 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Wow, glad he's alright man.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:11 am
MMT 1000 Club

Glad your dog is on the mend, and glad you didn't have to see how well the pocketknife worked in that situation.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:11 am
MMT Elite Member

Yeah, it got heated for a minute, I didn't have time to grab a gun, if I hesitated, she would've killed him for sure. Had to get my little buddy out of there.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:18 am
MMT Addict

Hard to judge size by that pic. What kind of dog is he? Glad it worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:07 am
MMT Elite Member

He's a little ole 32# plantation bred cocker spaniel.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:21 am
MMT Elite Member

Glad he's doing okay, Will....and you, too! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:59 am
MMT Elite Member

It's amazing what you are willing to do for someone or something you care so much about, I was ready to tangle with her ass without hesitation. I just wasn't going to poke the bear first.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:07 am
MMT 1000 Club

Glad your pups doing good! Not so much for your pants tho huh! Lol

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:08 am
MMT Elite Member

Thanks, Haha, I never did get scared, I was jacked up on adrenaline for what seemed like two hours after though. If she would have got me, there would have been fur flying for sure, both hers and mine.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:16 am
MMT 1000 Club

Dang Will I hate that, I have a lil buddy too and understand what you mean man cause I like my dog a lot more than most people :lol: :lol: glad he is ok after all that cause it could been real ugly.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:26 am
MMT Elite Member

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:46 am
MMT 1000 Club

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:12 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:20 pm
MMT Elite Member

I know, but family comes first. Sort out the bullshit later.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:21 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:27 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sure glad to hear your pup is doing better. Like hotsauce said, I like my dog more than a lot of people. Don't blame you one bit for getting nose to nose with ma bear. Could gave ended much worse. Glad it didn't.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]